Make Projects a Real Chat Organization System

I use ChatGPT heavily and have accumulated a large number of conversations. I expected Projects to work more like folders or workspaces, but the current behavior makes organizing chats harder than it should be.

The biggest problems are:

  • Moving a chat into a Project does not remove it from Recents.
  • Recents does not clearly show whether a chat already belongs to a Project or which Project it is in.
  • Archiving a chat removes it from the visible Project list, so I cannot both file it in a Project and keep Recents clean.
  • There is no true “All Chats” view where I can browse and sort my complete chat history.
  • Search is useful when I know what I’m looking for, but it is not a substitute for a proper chat-management interface.
  • There are no bulk actions for moving, archiving, tagging, or deleting large numbers of chats.

I would really like to see:

  • A true All Chats view
  • Project indicators next to chats
  • An option to hide Project chats from Recents
  • Archived chats remaining visible inside their Projects
  • Bulk Move / Archive / Delete
  • Sorting by title, date created, and last used
  • Tags, pinning, or subfolders within Projects

Projects are a great idea, but right now they feel more like labels than a real organization system. Better chat-management tools would make ChatGPT much more usable for long-term users with large conversation histories.

This topic was automatically closed after 24 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.