Make Conversation Annotations Usable as References in Future Prompts

Feature Request: Make Conversation Annotations Usable as References in Future Prompts

I’d like to suggest a feature for managing and referencing important points within long ChatGPT conversations.

I realize there are already feature requests for message bookmarks, pins, anchors, and annotations. My suggestion builds on those ideas, but I think there is an additional capability that could make them much more powerful:

Allow users to create named annotations or bookmarks that can later be referenced directly in prompts.

The basic idea

Suppose ChatGPT gives me an important response somewhere in a long conversation.

I could select that response, or perhaps a particular part of it, and create an annotation such as:

@BusinessPlan

or:

@ResearchFinding1

or:

@ImportantDecision

ChatGPT would remember that annotation as a reference to that specific point in the conversation.

Later, perhaps hundreds of messages further down, I could write:

Using @BusinessPlan, revise the pricing strategy we just discussed.

Or:

Compare @ResearchFinding1 with what we have learned since then.

Or:

Go back to @ImportantDecision and reconsider it based on our latest information.

The important part is that the annotation would not merely be a bookmark for me to navigate back to. It would also be a reference that ChatGPT understands and can use as contextual input.

Why I think this would be useful

ChatGPT conversations increasingly function as long-running workspaces rather than short question-and-answer sessions.

A single conversation might contain:

  • an initial idea

  • research

  • alternative approaches

  • important decisions

  • drafts

  • revisions

  • code

  • conclusions

  • questions to revisit later

The problem is that all of these things currently exist primarily in a chronological stream.

Even if bookmarks or annotations are added, I think their usefulness could be greatly increased if they became addressable pieces of context.

Instead of saying:

A few hundred messages ago, you gave me an answer about X. Can you find it and use it again?

I could simply say:

Use @ResearchFinding1.

This would make important parts of a conversation much easier to retrieve, reuse, compare, and build upon.

It could be implemented gradually

I don’t think this would necessarily need to be a complicated system from the beginning.

A simple first version could be:

  1. Allow a user to bookmark a message or selected passage.

  2. Let the user give it a name, such as @Research1.

  3. Show saved annotations in a small navigation panel.

  4. Allow the user to reference @Research1 in a later prompt.

  5. ChatGPT resolves the reference to the corresponding message or passage and uses it as context.

More advanced versions could eventually allow:

  • multiple annotations in one prompt

  • annotations on specific paragraphs, table cells, code blocks, etc.

  • notes attached to annotations

  • searching annotations

  • comparing annotations

  • referencing annotations across conversations or Projects

  • creating relationships between annotations

For example:

Compare @InitialPlan, @Research1, and @CustomerFeedback.

Or:

Update @ProjectPlan using @Research1 and @Research2.

This could effectively give users a lightweight way of creating their own index of important knowledge inside a conversation.

The larger idea

To me, the underlying concept is:

Make important parts of a ChatGPT conversation addressable.

Bookmarks would solve the navigation problem.

Annotations would add meaning.

Named references would allow those pieces of conversation to become reusable context.

That could turn a very long linear conversation into something closer to a structured workspace without requiring users to manually copy information into separate documents.

I think this would be particularly useful for research, learning, coding, writing, business planning, brainstorming, and any project that develops over many conversations.

Disclosure

The underlying idea in this post is my own. I came up with the concept of being able to annotate important parts of a ChatGPT conversation and then reference those annotations in later prompts.

I used ChatGPT to help organize, refine, and polish the wording of this feature request. The wording and structure have therefore been AI-assisted, but the feature idea itself is mine.

I’m aware that related requests for bookmarks, message-level anchors, and annotations already exist in this forum. My intention is not to claim those ideas as new, but to suggest the additional step of making annotations persistent, named, and directly usable as references in future prompts.

I hope the team will consider this as a possible evolution of the existing bookmark and annotation concepts.

This topic was automatically closed after 24 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.