Looking for Feedback: Managing OpenAI API Costs and Usage

Hello OpenAI Community,

I’m exploring a project that could help make managing OpenAI API costs and usage more straightforward for developers. Before diving deep into development, I’d love to get your thoughts on a few key areas.

Key Challenges

1. Cost Management: How do you currently keep track of your OpenAI API expenses?
  2. Optimization Strategies: Do you have methods in place to optimize the cost-effectiveness of your API calls?
  3. Analytics: What sort of metrics or insights would you find most useful to have?

Questions

1. What is your biggest pain point when it comes to managing OpenAI API costs and usage?
  2. If there were a solution to simplify this aspect, what one feature would be a game-changer for you?
  3. What factors are most important for you when considering a tool to help manage API costs? Simplicity, accuracy, or something else?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to share your insights!

Feel free to direct message me if you would like to provide additional feedback or discuss further.

2 Likes

Good question.
I would love to know the answer. I am also working on a project. so far what I’m doing is setting limits on openai billing. It’s not very usable but it helps me keep calm. If you find a solution please keep me informed

OpenAI has stellar logs of your api-key
Just be careful of expensive calls. Pass the costs to the user, don’t be a middle man .