Just like the stones of old

A single orb, just like the stones of old… :see_no_evil:

I was getting these vibes recently from the Can you prove you’re not AI? thread, and the way the conversation in The Perfect Walled Garden unfolded.

How do you feel about it? :crystal_ball:

Edit: In case you are wondering…

If you don’t know what this is about, World is a project where you look into an orb that scans your iris (your unique and immutable biometric data) in exchange for some shiny crypto and an anonymous ID… a “proof of personhood”.

They say it’s to create a global digital identity system, proving you’re human in a world where AI, with all its pros and cons, is part of our daily lives. The data is sent to your phone and then “deleted”, and after that, you get your place in the network.

So, this might be a good solution to help fight fraud and could even lead to UBI (universal basic income) someday. But yeah, right now, you’re basically trading your eyeball scans for crypto and a World ID. :speak_no_evil:

For what it’s worth, this is my own opinion:

We’ve pretty much already handed over our biometrics to companies (Face ID, etc.), but the difference is that those companies weren’t nearly as transparent as Worldcoin. You get specs, schematics, and blueprints for the devices, and it’s open-source. Still, handing over biometrics feels extremely uncomfortable. I’m really interested how others feel about this.

1 Like

It may be a Rabbit … get your rabbit r1 today for $199, no subscription required. I need more info.

Wow is this live?

Edited more info…
The Tech Portal — Sam Altman’s Worldcoin rebrands as World, introduces revamped, faster Orb - The Tech Portal

thetechportal.com

Blockonomi — Worldcoin Rebrands to World and Launches New Orb Devices & Layer-2 Network - Blockonomi

blockonomi.com

COINOTAG NEWS — Worldcoin Expands Biometric Verification with New Orb Technology in Guatemala | COINOTAG NEWS

en.coinotag.com

Updated my post with some more information!

2 Likes

It’s a bit scary. For a long time the only real protection we had from “data collection “ was the massive amount of data made us more ID protected but with tech like that sphere that may be a luxury one day… scary but fascinating nonetheless… yes harry that wand had a sibling it did great things … terrible but great… is a quote that comes to mind :rabbit:

The parts that interest me are whether this could be a good solution for social media (where bots are already misleading people and influencing geopolitics and markets) and, of course, UBI.

The UBI part… I’m not really thinking of people in the first world chilling all day while others (who choose to be) are more productive and ambitious, but could this actually solve global social inequality? Or does it just tap into that to extract more money from the bleeding hearts of millennials?

Will people be able to sell their unique ID and just opt out? Will there be a black market for immutable biometrics? Are some morally ambiguous coroners about to get rich? :eye:

It’s better to focus on empathy and civics than ID data idk just making us all data is still a bit scary.

Out of hearts I’ll be back :heart: On a dark note and I hate to say it data seems to = money :moneybag:

‘One Ring to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them’

I lived in China for 10 years without a National ID Card.

This was tough… The first time it was an issue was day 2 when the TA at the school I worked at had to get me a mobile phone on her ID card, then the bank account. I was always a second class citizen there however welcoming the country was overall.

China went through incredible growth in the 10 years I was there and ID technologies also increase rapidly from online banking dongles (which I couldn’t get because no ID card) to face scans to pick my kids up from school (which didn’t work because I was White :o). Every method of ID is inherently flawed.

In the case of Iris scans, how long until iris transplants are possible. What of people with damaged eyes.

What of modern day slavery? Cuckooing where someone controls someone else. Breaking of encryption algorithms. Accidents/attacks resulting in blindness (the old film example of cutting of a finger for the door scanner), How long is that iris valid after death :/? Or simply loosing your phone :/.

What of those who don’t want to or can’t be part of this system? I struggle with things like social media because I’m kinda like bi-polar… Sometimes on a high or low… I have to delete all my social media accounts sometimes to avoid screwing up friendships or work. This removes me from society. I can’t have a ‘linked in’, even a job that matches my skills, which actually makes everything way worse because I end up with no peers and big ideas with no direction.

What of fraud? I have seen people get around systems in some crazy ways, like perfectly legal ID with different names, used for different banking. Bizarre workarounds because countries operate differently. Will China or Russia or North Korea accept the ‘Sam Altman World ID’?

What of those who have to get police protection or political asylum.

Is there actually safety in NOT having a ‘World ID’… The systems of governance we have in the world today with different countries set at odds and keeping systems separate.

Always there will be those who get around the systems, the grey areas. This isn’t ALWAYS bad.

We change as we age but generally family and friends recognise us… IDs give us degrees of separation… They can give us freedoms… They can also put you in chains.

‘The right to a private life’, ‘The right to be forgotten’ these are phrases that resonate with me. Just because I am different, or even different at times, it doesn’t make me wrong. Is technology right because the largest group of people have it?

ID can open up opportunities. It can also shut them down.

It’s impossible to know the risks until they happen either way.

Privacy is a scarce resource. Don’t loose it. Don’t assume that it exists. Respect it. Remember people are not perfect. They can make mistakes (not all for bad meaning but some).

Perspective sheds light on many things… Yet it doesn’t penetrate reason.

If the whole world gets an Iris scan, they may have to say goodbye to my perspective. haha I hear you cry finally we cracked it!

1 Like