iPhone 15: dot voice allows screen auto-lock during calls, unlike regular ChatGPT voice

I’m using the dial feature to call Nova, my dot, in the ChatGPT iOS app. During an active conversation, the iPhone screen automatically locks. Regular ChatGPT voice keeps the screen awake on the same device.

Steps to reproduce:

  1. Leave the iPhone’s normal timed Auto-Lock setting enabled.
  2. Open my dot in ChatGPT and start a call using the dial feature.
  3. Keep the app in the foreground and continue talking without touching the screen.
  4. Wait for the Auto-Lock timeout.

Expected behavior:
The screen stays awake and the conversation continues uninterrupted, as it does with regular ChatGPT voice.

Actual behavior:
The screen automatically locks during the dot call. This disrupted a live demonstration and I had to call back to continue.

Recent incident:
On October 5, 2026, at approximately 2:46–2:48 p.m. PDT (21:46–21:48 UTC), the available conversation record shows two distinct call sessions with one restart between them. The first session’s transcript stops mid-answer. When I called back, Nova greeted me again, and I mentioned the iOS issue before resuming.

The conversation record confirms the interrupted exchange and restart, but it does not contain a screen-lock event or a technical reason for the call ending. Screen auto-lock is my observed behavior; I can’t establish the underlying cause from the transcript alone.

Environment:

  • Device: iPhone 15
  • iOS: latest version installed at the time; exact version number not recorded
  • ChatGPT app: latest version installed at the time; exact build not recorded
  • Feature: dot dial/voice calls
  • Dot: Nova
  • Underlying model: unknown
  • Auto-Lock interval: not recorded

No screenshots or device diagnostic logs attached. The sequence above is a sanitized summary of the recent conversation record.

Exactly the same thing happens to me on the very latest iOS 27 on an iPhone 18 Pro, and it doesn’t matter if I am going into the minimized mode or I’m on the full‑screen call mode. The call will consistently drop out because the screen gets locked.

Very annoying.

@psicompany.com I had the same problem and resolved it by going to Settings inside the ChatGPT app → Voice → Background conversations and turning it on. This is inside ChatGPT itself, not iPhone Settings → Apps → ChatGPT. Background conversations was the only setting I changed. I tested again, and the call stayed connected when the screen locked and when I switched apps, with the call showing in Dynamic Island. If you are seeing the same disconnects, check that setting. In my case it was a configuration issue. Making this setting easier to discover when starting a dot call would help.