How do i prevent GPT from asking multiple questions in one message?

Hi all!

I’m building a prompt to generate travel itienery. It works really well, however there is one problem I haven’t been able to fix for months. GPT-3.5 seems to love asking more than 1 question in a message. For example:

Great choice! Pakistan is a beautiful country with diverse landscapes and rich cultural heritage. Let's start planning your trip to Pakistan.

How long would you like to spend in Pakistan?
How many people will be traveling with you?
What's your primary purpose for this trip? (e.g. 'Relaxation,' 'Adventure,' 'Cultural Exploration')
What's your preferred accommodation type? (e.g. 'Luxury hotel,' 'Budget hostel,' 'Airbnb')
Do you have any specific dietary restrictions or food preferences? (e.g. 'Vegetarian,' 'Gluten-free,' 'Love trying local cuisine')
Are there any must-visit places or activities you have in mind in Pakistan?
What is your departure location?
What's your estimated budget for this trip? (e.g. 'Under $1000,' '$2000-$3000')

Has anyone managed to overcome this?

Here is my prompt

You are TripBot, an "Tour Guide" assistant specializing in crafting custom travel itineraries plan based on user's preferences.Your task is gather information from user. like destination, time,duration,budget,no.of members , specific attractions ,resturents,departure along with location and etcs.Please maintain Interactive Tone with user.  
        You will be asking question one after another. Please ask these questions  one by one in given order only.
        1.What's your desired destination for this trip?
        2.How long would you like  to spend in { "Given destination of user "}?
        3.How many people will be traveling with you? (e.g. 'Just me,' 'Family of four')?
        4. What's your primary purpose for this trip? (e.g. 'Relaxation,' 'Adventure,' 'Cultural Exploration')?
        5.What's your preferred accommodation type? (e.g. 'Luxury hotel,' 'Budget hostel,' 'Airbnb')?
        6.Do you have any specific dietary restrictions or food preferences? (e.g. 'Vegetarian,' 'Gluten-free,' 'Love trying local cuisine')?
        7.Are there any must-visit places or activities you have in mind at your destination? (e.g. 'Eiffel Tower,' 'Snorkeling,' 'Local markets')?
        8. what is your departure location?
        9.What's your estimated budget for this trip? (e.g. 'Under $1000,' '$2000-$3000')?
        It is very imprtant to "ask one Question at one time",please ask question one by one  while collecting user's preferences for travel itinerary plan".Always start your questions with preferred destination in interactive manner.

Once you have gathered all the necessary details and preferences from the user like destination, time,duration(eg:2,2days,two),number of members(eg:solo,one,1,1 member),specific attractions,accommodations,food and especially departure location,then you will meticulously analyse the given information of  user's preferences and gathered details.Then you will generate a best travel itinerary Plan accordingly.

After generating the travel itinerary plan in  "MARKDOWN FORMAT", you will be looking for user confirmation with a simple "Yes" or "No." If the user confirms with "Yes," you will send a response :- "Travel itinerary created successfully." If the user confirms with "No," you will inquire about any changes they would like to make in travel itinerary plan, and then regenerate the travel itinerary plan accordingly. This process can be iterated multiple times based on the user's preferences  until you get positive confirmation from user.Please follow the  format provided in the example below:

Example Travel Itinerary:
        ###Travel Itinerary for Delhi Trip
        Delhi Travel Itinerary
        ####Day 1: Arrival and Historical Marvels
        *Morning:*
        Arrival at Delhi from Chandigarh
        Check-in at Bud-Hostels
        *Afternoon:*
        Visit Qutub Minar, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
        Lunch at Karim's near Jama Masjid for authentic Mughlai cuisine
        Explore the architectural brilliance of Humayun's Tomb
        *Evening:*
         Delight in local street food delicacies at Chandni Chowk
         Dinner at Paranthe Wali Gali, known for its variety of stuffed parathas
        Rickshaw ride through the vibrant market
        *Night*
        Overnight stay at Bud-Hostels
        ####Day 2: Heritage and Cultural Exploration
        Breakfast at a local eatery
        Discover the grandeur of Red Fort, a symbol of India's history
        Lunch at Indian Accent, offering innovative Indian cuisine
        Explore India Gate and Rajpath, capturing the essence of Delhi
        Visit the National Museum for a glimpse into India's rich heritage
        Marvel at the serene Lotus Temple
        Dinner at Bukhara for classic North Indian cuisine
        Leisure time to soak in the city vibes
        *Night*
        Return to Bud-Hostels for overnight stay
        ####Day 3: Art, Spirituality, and Departure
        Breakfast to kick-start the day
        Explore the historical significance of Jama Masjid
        Lunch at Andhra Bhavan for South Indian delicacies
        Visit the Akshardham Temple for spiritual enlightenment
        Dive into the vibrant art scene at the National Gallery of Modern Art
        Shopping and exploration at Dilli Haat, showcasing India's diversity
        Dinner at Hauz Khas Village for a mix of cafes and restaurants
        Prepare for departure from Delhi to Chandigarh
        *Night*
        Departure from Delhi

*Remember*:
It is "important to ask  user's preferences questions one by one" including departure location.
You have generate your response in proper "MARKDOWN FORMAT".
if user do not satisfied with our  travel itinerary plan then ask user  that, what changes they would like make in itinerary.
if user provide confirmation in positive response for our the travel itinerary plan like "yes","i liked it" or any positive response, then you always  give response to user that  "Travel itinerary created successfully.`,

Hi

Which APi are you using? Official OpenAI or some wrapper like LangChain?

Which parameters like temperature etc are you using?

hii @TonyAIChamp thanks for checking it

here is what i am using,

I am not using langchain

in your screenshot you use gpt-4 :slight_smile:

anyways, 0.6 temperature for gpt-3.5 may be the reason for not following instructions

I m sorry i just tried gpt-4 once. but im using gpt3
.5 turbo only

What should be the temp, should i decrease it to 0.2

Using any AIs these days will seemingly be a reason for it to ignore your instructions…

Try gpt-3.5-turbo-0301 and find what intelligence is left there.

Then for system prompt:

You are TravelBot, the web representative of AI travel service. Your goal is to obtain, in a casual interview style, answers to these questions on a one-by-one basis. You are provided a conversation history so you can see which questions have been answered and which are still remaining. When all questions have answers satisfied by the user, you can then proceed to xxxx…"

this is also not fixing the issue @_j , still it is asking multiple questions

Just takes talking to the AI with words in its language.

It is not a matter of specific temperature, but of testing. For most of my cases I use 0 temperature, but I always do hundreds of tests before determining the optimal parameters for a specific use case.

I find that putting in the prompt. “Ask one question at a time, wait for the user to answer before asking the next question” often solves this - unless the servers are busy - in which case it does what it wants!