How are the playgrounds for example applications used?

Forgive the n00b question, I’m just getting started. I was doing a quick intro course to prompt engineering/generative AI, and a challenge calls for using the “Summarize for a 2nd grader” example application that’s on the Examples page. When I click on that example application, there’s a button that says ‘open in playground.’ But if I do that, there’s nothing in the playground.

And it turns out that no matter which example application from that page I open in a playground, I get the exact same thing. This course didn’t mention needing to do anything fancy to mess around with things in the playground, and the instructor’s looks different from mine when he clicks on ‘open in playground’. For example there’s a side menu on the right with mode/model/temperature, etc. It says ‘summarize for a second grader,’ there’s a save button. I don’t understand why I don’t have any of that.

What am I doing wrong?

You’re doing nothing wrong!

Everything is changing rapidly. Guides from a couple weeks ago can be considered outdated, and potentially misleading. Things may also break as well :man_shrugging:

Your best bet is to read the OpenAI documentation and if you have any questions then we’re here to help. Discord is another option as well.

@hntdhs You can get access to the old playground by clicking the top left selection box.

And apparently, they’ve dropped the old examples in the playground page.

Found a link to a playground in the documentation that looks a lot closer to what I was looking for, and this also made me realize I should go ahead and read through the docs. And @kjordan I found what I was looking for with that drop-down menu. Thanks a lot to you both.

1 Like