High CPU Web Workers usage of ChatGPT when not is use

Long threads become unusable and crashes the tab. Started happening recently.

2 Likes

same. cpu usage 110%, and very slow responses. killing chatgpt tab increased laptop battery remaining time by 1.5 hrs. using on firefox + debian. pls fix this

Similarly, with only two chatGPT web pages open, the CPU usage of the Opera browser is as high as 50%. At first I thought it was a script or browser plugin problem, but, I closed them and didn’t change.

Same issue.
Chrome: 119.0.6045.199 (arm64)
macOS: Sonoma 14.1.2
Mac: MacBook Pro 14" M3

same issue , fans getting so crazy this days.

Reporting the same issue as others, CPU usage rises a lot after a while even though nothing is done, please fix this soon.

same issue, having just one chat.openai tab on firefox open slows my older computer down like crazy, wasn’t the case before

i have a hardware logger widget in my desktop, start from like 2 days ago it shows a spike in the CPU consumption (thats why the temperature raises), at normal circumstances the CPU consume like 3W (reading pages + listening music soforth), and suddenly was spiking at 20W without any other load. using firefox task manager i’ve pinpoint the gpt tab with a 100% usage. i’ve tried to clear all history, didn’t worked. still happens so its not the size of the chat itself. for now i can reproduce the problem if i go out of gpt tab (i don’t let browser auto idle tabs because it can loose state in reactive pages). and it comes back to normal if i refresh the tab. the only workaround for web browser i do is close the tab for good whenever i leave. and yeah, if this was a shady website the first thing i would thought is some kinda of crypto mining or zombie feature like the ones used in DDoS attacks. changing browser / oses wont make difference when the problem happens between their front / back end.

Same here, high cpu usage if i leave tab open.
Mas Studio M2
Sonoma 14.1.2
Google Chrome

I’m having the same issue on all browsers
 CPU running high, even when I’m not using the console to type. Simply close the browser tab with ChatGPT open and cpu spike stops. Looking forward to a fix so I can keep it open :slight_smile:

Happening to me too.
Initially, I thought it was an OS-level issue and downgraded the kernel. Turns out it is not. Then I opened the process manager in the browser and found the culprit.

Linux Mint XFCE, Firefox 120.0.1 (64-bit)

Edit 1: Screenshot

1 Like

Been encountering crippling slowness on Firefox for Android in the past day or two; that’s on top of a major slowdown that started a few months ago and was never fixed. It gets so slow that the input field lags way behind my typing. Plus, the input field keeps resetting when trying to type in text or use voice to text. Almost makes me suspect that it’s the input field that’s the issue.

1 Like

I followed here, on reddit, on other sites that follow the issue.

it happens on gamming rigs, on all CPUs, Mac’s M1 and M2, Ryzen, Intel, all OSs and all browsers

what is interesting is how can it get so much of the CPU just in a browser tab. I never had any payload to get my CPU to 95°C

1 Like

me too. 200 % Cpu usage. Mac M2. This is scary.

1 Like

same here CPU 260% mbp16 - never seen it that high didnt know it could get there. please let us know why. I have 2 custom gpt’s, have 3 gpt tabs open. am very sad now.

1 Like

be aware it could damage hardware, check temperature.

1 Like

I wrote to open AI about this issue and below was the reply (seems like a generic automated reply).

Anyone aware if openAI is working on the issue?

Reply from openAI:

Hi there,

​

Sorry for the trouble! Without more information, it’s hard to tell for sure, but this could either be a temporary glitch on our end or an issue with how your computer is connecting to our services.

​

As a first step, it’s important to try using an incognito browser window, a different browser or computer, or a different network. It’s possible that a browser extension is causing issues, especially if you installed an extension to add functionality to ChatGPT.

​

If you’re encountering this problem intermittently, we recommend checking our status page ( when you get an error like this to see if we’re already aware and fixing it. Although we’re continuously making our services more reliable, our servers may experience intermittent errors during particularly high traffic.

​

In most cases, you can simply wait a few minutes and try again. If you’re still running into problems, it’d help if you can try these steps first to help us figure out what might be going on:

​

1. Try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies
  2. Disable VPN (If you are using one)
  3. Use an incognito browser or a different internet browser/computer to see if the issue still persists, as a security add-on or extension can occasionally cause this type of error.
  4. Disable cookie blockers
  5. Try connecting to another network

​

If none of that worked, could you send us more information about the steps you took leading up to the error (such as anything you clicked on), as well as details about what happened when you tried the steps above? More info about the error message itself is helpful too, especially specific wording or a screenshot. We’ll take a look and do what we can to fix it with you.

​

• OpenAI Team

I got the same automated reply. I added more details (including a link to this discussion forum and reasons why I think this issue is important). The chat says that my comments are not yet seen

3 Likes

@samaltman pls don’t train on my pc :frowning:

2 Likes

Do we know if this is happening on mobile also? Or the mobile app?

1 Like