Help with API installing Auto-GPT

I’m trying to install Auto-GPT on my computer, and I keep getting this error: “Please set your OpenAI API key in .env or as an environment variable”. I have my key in the correct place. OPENAI_API_KEY= I know my key is working because I can use it in Agent-GPT, and I can watch my usage go up. But when I try to use the same key to run l Auto-GPT: An Autonomous GPT-4 Experiment . I get the error… I’ve cleared my browser cache and everything I can think of to try to get this thing to work. Nothing has helped. HELP!

1 Like

hi
try same with earlier version of GPT turbo 3 and 3.5
if you have access to gpt4 u can.

Are you use Macos?

in MacOS , Instead of changing the suffix to.env.template, delete the file that contains.template or.template

you can use vim command create a .env file

I just try that, but it still don’t working, I’m not sure of what I did wrong

Hello Sonicjim,

Please forgive me for being so intrusive, I saw your feedback on a questions
regarding Auto GPT on MacOS, I just hope you can help me.

I have set up the AUTO GPT according to the instructions and with a supervision of a friend who helped me to set it up based on his installation that fully works, but I keep getting the message.

"DOUBLE CHECK CONFIGURATION Please double check that you have set up a PAID OpenAI API Account "

I generated many API keys already and replaced the one at the VSC but the message keeps coming and I am unable to use the AUTO GPT.

Thank you in advance.

I’m experiencing the same issue on a Windows 11 machine. I renamed .env.template to just .env, and multiple API keys still do not work.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I don’t know Mac or AutoGPT, but in Windows you can set your environment variables with a powershell command, or using GUI, just search “environment”