Got invitation for gpt-4 api but model doesnt exist

Please send the code with which you tried to access the model. I think I know what the problem might be.

Hi, I fixed this issue for my project.

Make sure to do these things :

• GPT-4 in chatgpt and in API are different things, for API access, you have joined the waitlist and recieved the confirmation mail.
  • Make sure you have GPT-4 api access, you should be able to go to OpenAI Playground and use GPT-4 under Chat.
  • DO NOT use the previous api key. I recommend deleting the previous keys and generating a new one.
  • In the OpenAI configuration, specify both apiKey and organization ID which can be found here Account settings
  • Make sure you are using the chat completion, GPT-4 DOES NOT work with completion endpoint.

Hope this resolves your issue, thank you.

2 Likes

Hi I got an invite for GPT 4 API, I generated a new key and wanted to test it in playground but I donā€™t see GPT 4 option

Any suggestions please why it doesnā€™t show in the playground and what is the best way to test the new key.

have you tried changing the mode to ā€œChatā€? there you have the GPT3 and 4 models

1 Like

yes, GPT 4 is showing in chat. Thanks for letting me know

Hello.

Same problem: Iā€™ve got an invitation email about GPT-4, but I canā€™t see it in Playground, and canā€™t use via API.

Is adding payment method necessary? Or thatā€™s not the reason?

Same problem here. Iā€™m guessing it has something to do with the org tag. Creating a new key show many models, but not gpt4.

Have you checked all the steps in the end of this guide? Check that youā€™ve set the org settings correctly and that the ā€œModeā€ dropdown is set to ā€œChatā€.

Thanks for these tips. Is it confirmed that thereā€™s no GTP-4 for the completion endpoint? Wanted to make sure itā€™s by design and not a bug or something.

The solution for me was to also pass the Organization ID, not just the API key, when initializing the OpenAI API, like @tjsiam019 suggested.

Make sure your API keyā€™s Organization ID is the same with the invite emailā€™s.

And you can see GPT-4 on the rate limits page if you can access it.

Some people write, ā€˜visit Usage to see what api you are usingā€™, but have visited that page countless times and I cannot see any reference to the api model. Where is it?

Go to playground, select ā€œchatā€ and then look under models.

Same issue here ā€“ I have access to gpt-4 model, but not gpt-4-32k. Not showing up neither when listing models, or in the playground. Even with the right settings & configuration

The 32k context is still in limited alpha. So close to nobody has it.