Fraud on My Account: A Frustrating Experience with OpenAI

Hello everyone,

I want to share my recent experience with OpenAI to alert other users about potential risks and the lack of effective customer support.

On July 6th, 2024, I received a series of emails indicating suspicious activities on my account:

1.	At 11:41 AM ART, a charge of $99.
2.	Less than a minute later, an increase in my account limit.
3.	Followed by a charge of $900.
4.	Another increase in the limit.
5.	Two more charges of $999 each.

In total, $2997 was charged to my account. When I logged in to verify, I found that I was no longer the owner of the organization but a temporary user with read-only access. I immediately removed the linked payment method and attempted to log out from all accounts, but it was already too late.

I contacted OpenAI support, but I haven’t received any helpful responses. They only informed me that my account had recorded suspicious activity. This leads me to conclude that anyone with minimal access (like a compromised password) can remove you from your organization and make unlimited charges. And worse, the system doesn’t respond in time to cancel payments through Stripe.

As a user, my experience has been terrible. Customer support is ineffective, they offer no solutions, and not even an AI can provide an automatic response. Additionally, there is no simple email verification to change the owner or add new users to the organization. This seems like an outdated system from 2001, which is unacceptable for a company that was the fastest growing in 2023.

I don’t have time to wait for the credit card dispute process and I’m tired of the non-existent support from OpenAI. Clearly, I’m not the only one affected, and I have already decided on my next steps. I just wanted to share this case so that everyone is aware of what can happen and know that the only solution is to dispute the charges through the bank and Stripe since the company does not provide an adequate response.

Best regards to all, and I hope you never have to go through a similar situation.

Greetings, Marcos.