Ethical AI in the GPT Store -- A Case Study into WebPilot and WebGPT🤖

Hi all,

I’ve made a video that can be watched on YouTube. It’s lengthy, but I think it’s important.

Some context:

I’ve been building in the OpenAI ecosystem for over a year now. I’m the creator of WebGPT🤖 which is featured in this video, full disclosure. And I’ve got some real concerns and earnest questions that I raise in it, as a fan and big supporter of OAI and its stated mission.

But in my experience, they are falling quite short of that mission. And almost nobody is talking about it. I am sharing my experience and perspective humbly, and not intending it spitefully. But if my experience as a builder in their ecosystem is to reflect the experience of all, then the future is very bleak for ethics, quality, and transparency.

Every platform on which OpenAI has influence, this video and my criticisms have been silenced. My attempts to reach out to them directly have all fallen on deaf ears. It is not my desire to do this sort of thing in the court of public opinion. I stand very little to gain here, and realize that this puts me in a default negative light as I have every motive to be biased as a competing developer of some of the GPT’s I mention in this video.

But please try to look past that potential for bias, and realize that, I’m also just not wrong in this case. Everything I have presented here is 100% true. Documented. And is just a fraction of my journey. The video is already 15 minutes so I packed as much into it as I could to provide enough context into what it is I’m trying to convey.

We beat OpenAI to their Browse with Bing model. To be clear, WebGPT🤖 (formerly known as “Web Requests” when it was the Plugin Store, not the GPT Store) was built before ChatGPT ever had connectivity. We beat WebPilot to market as well. Every step of the way we have been not only first, but also best in class. And yet, this journey we’ve been on has been nothing but trouble, inequity, and un-just. And I’d be lying if I said that didn’t take its toll on me.

Before anyone chimes in with “life’s not fair” – I get it. I’m not posting this as some fish for sympathy or looking for a pity party. I’m sincerely saying; this isn’t right, it’s not the future we want for AI or AGI, and I still sincerely extend my hand with an olive branch inside it toward OAI and the others in the community who truly share a vision for an ethical, safe, prosperous future for humanity. And not just grift.

Don’t take my word for it – try WebGPT🤖 yourself. And then again, ask this question: Why isn’t this featured more? Why isn’t this team supported by OAI? Just simply, why?

1 Like