Error: " You exceeded your current quota", even though I have a $50.00 balance on my API account

I keep getting this error when calling the API from Matlab:

“OpenAI API Error: You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details. For more information on this error, read the docs: https://platform.openai.com/docs/guides/error-codes/api-errors.

My account balance is $50.00. This bug was reported to be solved in Dec 2023, when many users had the same problem, but it apparently isn’t fixed.

Hi there!

There could be a couple of different reasons for this.

If you’ve only recently added the credits, then there could be a small delay in them being available for use. You may also want to double check the monthly limit for your account and whether that has been exceeded.

I have waited 2 days. Could the delay be longer than that?

Under limits it says: " Your organization is currently in Free." But there is no way for me to change that.

If you’ve paid in USD 50 in credits, then technically you should at least be in Tier 1 (once 7 days have passed since the payment, you should even move up to Tier 2).

So just to double check, you actually paid money into your account, right?

If you have and it still indicates you are in the free tier, then a processing lag is likely the issue and you may want to give it another 24-48h.

Similar to the OP, I have also added funds to my account. When I look at the “Limits” page, it shows my current tier is Tier 1, and when i look at billing, I see a credit balance of $10. I get the same error message. OP is not alone.

Preface: new payments and payments refreshing a 0-balance account may take many hours to unlock the ability to spend those credits again.

This error, where the go-to answer is “fund your account” has also been seen as a response to other bad inputs.

Thus, besides checking your “credit balance” in settings, ensuring you have a project with all endpoints enabled and api key with the desired model allowed (then making a new API key), ensure your inputs are correct, particularly about the AI model.

If you are in “free tier”, then no monetary payment was yet recorded, and you will not be able to use GPT-4 models.

1 Like

The problem resolved itself. Generating a new key and waiting a few hours seemed to do the trick.

1 Like

Be sure to review your security to make sure your API keys aren’t getting stolen. This kind of thing happened to me and I assumed I was hacked, did a security audit, and created a new API key. It’s impossible to know if the old key had gotten hacked or not, but the problem has not come back again after I did that.