Error: "The model produced invalid content"

When I switched to gpt-4o I started getting these errors that I never got using previous models

URL: https://api.openai.com/v1/chat/completions

{
   "error": {
     "message": "The model produced invalid content. Consider modifying your prompt if you are seeing this error persistently.",
    "type": "model_error",
    "param": null,
    "code": null
   }
}

I can’t confirm but this seems to happen when the model tries to call a function after exchanging some messages
Sometime I try again and it works, sometimes it gets stuck
I anyone else having these issues?

2 Likes

I got exactly the same error but with gpt-3.5-turbo-0613 model. Changed the api key but didn’t help. First time when getting error code 500. It doesn’t seem to be really related to message itself.

same situation. have a tool call in messages. maybe that is triggering the error. hope it gets resolved soon.

I think I got it fixed. In case the issue was due to a bit of a mix up in my code. I was mixing the new tools mechanism with the old function calling mechanism and somehow that was passing through in the older models. The new gpt-4o model seems to be more strict about that issue but after fixing following the new tools API correctly the issues seems to be gone, at least for now.

I am getting this error a lot like 3 out of 10 times - don’t know why — does anyone know what’s the solution for it

if we take it the error at face value, it is a problem at openai side. having retry mechanisms in place, although not ideal, seems to resolve the issue.