Does GPT-4 API Have Access to the internet?

If not, Is there any chance it will come in the near future?

Other Filler Text. Other Filler Text. Other Filler Text. Other Filler Text. Other Filler Text. Other Filler Text. Other Filler Text. Other Filler Text. Other Filler Text. Other Filler Text. Other Filler Text. Other Filler Text. Other Filler Text. Other Filler Text. Other Filler Text. Other Filler Text.

No, GPT-4 is just an inference model. Any access to any other system (including uploaded documents) has to be implemented by the services that drive this model.
If you use GPT-4 through the API, you’re responsible for providing those services as appropriate.
If you use ChatGPT, OpenAI has a variety of mechanisms you can use, such as adding plugins that might let the system request information from the internet as part of a chat session.

1 Like

So, according to my understanding, As of 3rd Nov '23, only ChatGPT Plus plugins provide browsing internet access to GPT 4.

If I want to derive similar results, I should get context from some web scraper/crawler and pass it to the API inside my prompt.

Correct?

Correct!

You may in fact need to make more than one request, the first request to figure out “what other information would be needed?” and then you’d run some web request in response to that answer, and then you make a second request with “given this information …”

1 Like