Discrepancy in ChatGPT Message Limits: German vs. English Versions

Hello everyone,

I’m reaching out to the community to bring attention to a curious discrepancy I’ve noticed regarding the usage limits on ChatGPT. It seems there’s a significant difference in the message limit between the German and English versions of the platform, and I’m wondering if anyone else has encountered this or can provide some clarity.

On the English version of the ChatGPT website (logged in as plus member), the stated limit is “40 messages every 3 hours.” However, on the German version of the site, it indicates a limit of “40 Nachrichten alle 3 Tage,” which translates to “40 messages every 3 days.” This is a substantial difference and could significantly impact the user experience for German-speaking users.

I’ve tried to find official information or updates from OpenAI that might explain this discrepancy, but so far, I haven’t found anything conclusive. In the OpenAI developer community, the limit for the GPT-4 model is mentioned as 40 messages per 3 hours, aligning with the English version of the site.

Is this difference in message limits a translation error, a regional policy, or something else? Has anyone else noticed this or experienced different usage limits in other languages or regions? Any insights or information would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences on this matter.
Screenshot 2023-12-07 220639

3 Likes