Disable autosuggest in ChatGPT

When starting a new chat in ChatGPT, it autosuggests prompts when typing. This is an undesired and distracting feature that I would very much like to disable, thank you very much.

OpenAI do they respond to this discussions? or are ignored by design?

Yeah, Open AI don’t seem to care much. Never mind, Chat GPT doesn’t even work anymore so I’m using duck.AI instead. At least there you’re not confined to one provider but can choose from different models.

One workaround I found is to put a . before you start typing. It’s not pretty, but it stops autosuggest

That’s a good tip. I’ve come up with two other solutions, but none of them works:

  • create a custom model (requires Plus) and name it “New Chat”. ← this used to work, but I just noticed it’s stopped working. Since last time I used Chat GPT, they’ve applied autosuggestions to custom GPTs too.
  • also tried blocking the auto suggestion element with an ad blocker (Chat GPT’s own suggestion) , but this doesn’t actually work. The next time you start a new chat, the autosuggestions are shown anyway.

In summary, I think Open AI is only turning Chat GPT worse with every update.

Agree. This is an unwanted and distracting feature.

The only thing that seems to work for me is to use an ad blocker like uBlock Origin to block the HTML elements. Paste these lines into your filter, and it should be good.

chatgpt.com##.lg\:top-full.max-lg\:bottom-full.ps-0.w-full.box-border.z-\[-1\].start-0.absolute.bg-token-main-surface-primary
chatgpt.com##.top-full.ps-0.w-full.box-border.z-\[-1\].start-0.absolute.bg-token-bg-primary
chatgpt.com##.top-full.ps-0.w-full.box-border.z-\[-1\].start-0.absolute
chatgpt.com##div.absolute:nth-child(5)
chatgpt.com##div.absolute.start-0[class*="z-"][class*="box-border"][class*="top-full"]

Thanks for the tip! It’s a bit hard for me to verify if this solution works, since I haven’t got these annoying autosuggestions for long. Perhaps Adblock Plus did the trick after all, or then the autosuggestions vanished when I cancelled my Plus subscription.