Fine-tune ChatGPT with private data & data security

What steps can organizations take to ensure data security and privacy when fine-tuning ChatGPT to improve its natural language generation abilities, and how can they ensure ownership and control over the resulting model? Additionally, are there any limitations or considerations organizations should be aware of in terms of OpenAI’s rights to the fine-tuned model?

1. Was the training data saved by OpenAI during the fine-tuing process of the ChatGPT model?
  2. Does OpenAI retain exclusive ownership of the fine-tuned model, or are there other parties who may have ownership rights?
  3. Does OpenAI have the right to use the fine-tuned model to improve future versions of ChatGPT, or are there limitations on its use?
4 Likes

Hi @bengadisoufiane

Welcome to the community.

ChatGPT aka gpt-3.5-turbo does not support fine-tuning yet. Only base models ada, babbage, curie and davinci support fine-tuning

1 Like

Sorry, but you didn’t answer my questions : my questions are about data security

2 Likes

Yes, but you said @bengadisoufiane, precisely:

and what @sps has correctly pointed out to you is that you cannot fine-tune any “ChatGPT” model.

So, since you cannot fine-tune a ChatGPT model, there cannot be any “data security” concerns about a fine-tuned ChatGPT model.

HTH

:slight_smile:

1 Like

But what about data securtiy and ada , babbage , curie and davinci models ?

1. Was the training data saved by OpenAI during the fine-tuing process of the ada model?
  2. Does OpenAI retain exclusive ownership of the fine-tuned model, or are there other parties who may have ownership rights?
  3. Does OpenAI have the right to use the fine-tuned model to improve future versions of the ada model, or are there limitations on its use?
1 Like

We assume so.

This is question for OpenAI, not for a community of software developers. Try:

support@openai.com

Yes, if you read the terms of service on the OpenAI web site, OpenAI and their contractors, etc, have full rights; and you, the user, have no warranty, implied or otherwise, your data will be private.

You would get better answers, I think, reading the OpenAI Privacy Policy:

HTH

:slight_smile:

I think this is what you are looking for …

(c) Use of Content to Improve Services . We do not use Content that you provide to or receive from our API (“API Content”) to develop or improve our Services. We may use Content from Services other than our API (“Non-API Content”) to help develop and improve our Services.

We know that data privacy and security are critical for our customers. We take great care to use appropriate technical and process controls to secure your data. We remove any personally identifiable information from data we intend to use to improve model performance. We also only use a small sampling of data per customer for our efforts to improve model performance.

We understand that in some cases you may not want your data used to improve model performance. You can opt out of having your data used to improve our models by filling out this form. Please note that in some cases this will limit the ability of our models to better address your specific use case.

For details on our data policy, please see our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use documents.

The ownership of a fine-tuned module remains unclear…

1 Like

Apologies for tagging onto this thread - per How your data is used to improve model performance | OpenAI Help Center - there is info on how data is used. However what would help on this page would be:

• if a form is submitted, how long till we get an ack that the opt out has been confirmed?
  • if an org signs up on platform (API content I think) - there is no link to access the chat console (non API content) directly. However you can create an account using the login from platform - so are the opt out policies maintained on non API content too if using the same logins?

Thx
MS

For ChatGPT - a new article was put up How do I turn off chat history and model training? | OpenAI Help Center which is useful!!!

Not sure how to manage the opt out acknowledgement.

Found this under “Can I fine-tune OpenAI models using my own data?”

Your fine-tuned models are for your use alone and never served to or shared with other customers or used to train other models. Data submitted to fine-tune a model is retained until the customer deletes the files.

link