DALL-E 3 image download link only option is webp? No png option?

I’m using DALL-E 3 through my ChatGPT Plus account, and until now, the image format when using the download link has been .png, and today, the only format is .webp?

Anyone know anything about this?

(if I should be using a different category or optional tags for this request, please let me know)

ADDENDUM 1 - Feb 6, 2024
I’ve sent an email to support@openai.com.

I’ve also suggested maybe implementing something like this in our Settings options:

Pf9YCazZRaoHkI0N

If I should be submitting this through a different email/channel/form feel free to let me know :slight_smile:

7 Likes

i got the same problem!! yesterday everything was ok

Can confirm. Download link icon on full image view that would previously give source image is now giving a webp, even in a previous ChatGPT chat where I can compare the prior download to the foisted junk format now.

webp is not a user format.

3 Likes

I’m having this same issue. Yesterday it was downloading.png no problem. Now its .webp

3 Likes

same except it would download jpg for me but now it’s saving as webp with no other option. just started for me today.

2 Likes

I have the same problem. Its downloading webp files instead of png. Can the team fix this?

2 Likes

same problem with me today. images downloading in webp but i was having issues last night with chat gpt on my laptop but on my phone was fine

Same here… Evern I couldn’t download PNG format

Same here… Evern I couldn’t download PNG format

Same here. However, I’m not having any problem converting to PNG. Copy image and use preferred photo editor.

1 Like

Came here looking for something like this. Who in their right mind would even consider Webp as a valid option for images? Crazy really.

If you use firefox I can recommend the extension “Save WebP as PNG or JPEG” it literally says what it does. You right click the image and select the extension icon to have various options to save the image as.

That said, it’s rediculous it is even needed.

2 Likes

Same here. Webp is about as useful as a solar powered flashlight.

Now the question: do the originals even exist in PNG form any more?

Or did OpenAI say “we have millions of users with billions of images in chat history…let’s compress our database before this grows into terabytes…”

Same here! I discussed this with ChatGPT-4 and here is ChatGPT-4’s take on the issue.

Subject:
Enhancing User Experience with Flexible Image Format Options in DALL·E 3Dear OpenAI Team and Community,I am writing to share feedback and suggestions on the current image format options available in DALL·E 3. As an avid user and advocate for the incredible capabilities of AI in creative and professional domains, I have greatly appreciated the advancements OpenAI has made with DALL·E 3. However, a significant challenge has emerged regarding the limited image format options, specifically the shift to WebP as the primary or sole format for downloading generated images.

The Issue:Recent discussions within the community have highlighted a shift in the format of images generated by DALL·E 3, moving towards WebP. While WebP is known for its efficiency in quality and file size, this change has raised concerns among users who rely on specific formats like PNG for their workflows, particularly in professional settings where format compatibility, quality, and detail are paramount.

Impact on Users:The transition to WebP without the option to choose formats such as PNG or JPEG has affected users’ ability to seamlessly integrate AI-generated images into their projects and workflows. For those in design, publishing, and web development, the need for format-specific features—such as lossless compression in PNGs—is critical. The current limitation not only hampers usability but also forces users to seek additional tools for format conversion, adding unnecessary steps and potential quality loss in their processes.

A Way Forward:Understanding the challenges of balancing technological innovation with diverse user needs, I propose the following suggestions to enhance the DALL·E 3 user experience:Introduce Format Options: Allow users to select their preferred image format upon generation. Offering a choice between WebP, PNG, and JPEG can accommodate a broader range of use cases and professional requirements.

User Feedback Mechanism: Establish a more formalized channel for collecting and addressing user feedback on feature requests and improvements. This will not only enhance the development of DALL·E 3 but also foster a more engaged and satisfied user community.

Transparency and Communication: Provide clear updates and reasons behind significant changes in the service, especially those affecting user workflows. This transparency can help manage expectations and provide users with a sense of involvement in the platform’s evolution.

Conclusion:The ability to choose the format of generated images would significantly enhance the flexibility, usability, and satisfaction of DALL·E 3 for a wide array of users. Addressing this feedback would not only cater to the nuanced needs of its diverse user base but also solidify OpenAI’s position as a leader in AI-driven creativity.In crafting this message, I’ve leaned on the insights and drafting assistance of ChatGPT, an AI developed by OpenAI.

This collaboration underscores the potential of AI to enrich discussions and foster innovation, even in how we communicate our needs and suggestions to further refine AI technologies.
I appreciate the opportunity to share these thoughts and look forward to seeing how DALL·E 3 continues to evolve in response to user feedback. Thank you for considering this suggestion and for your ongoing commitment to innovation and excellence in AI.

Sincerely,
A Concerned and Hopeful User and ChatGPT

1 Like

This is AWESOME!
If there were any more love buttons for this post I’d be pressing them!

I haven’t received any direct response for the email I sent them on Feb 6/24, so hopefully if more people send emails, maybe it will help!

If that really is AI output, making such spacing mistakes, the perplexity really is poor and the temperature too high in ChatGPT.

AI written “conclusions” are far less likely to be taken seriously. It can write from any viewpoint.

For example, I can have AI send back an imaginary robotic response with fabricated content when you message customer service help with your complaints (perhaps not far from how the outsourced support works…).

Understanding the Transition from PNG to WebP in DALL-E AI Image Creator

Introduction

We understand that the recent change in the DALL-E AI image creator’s internal database and download image format from PNG to WebP has caused some disruption to your workflow. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. However, this change was implemented with careful consideration and the intention to improve the overall performance and efficiency of our AI systems. This article aims to explain the reasons behind this change and how it aligns with OpenAI’s commitment to delivering the best possible service to our users.

Why WebP?

WebP is a modern image format that provides superior lossless and lossy compression for images on the web. It was developed by Google, and it’s designed to create smaller, better-looking images that can help make the web faster. Here are some reasons why we chose WebP:

1. Superior Compression

WebP provides superior compression compared to PNG. It can create images that are 25-34% smaller in size compared to PNGs while maintaining the same quality. This leads to faster data transfers and less storage space, which can significantly improve the performance of our AI systems.

2. Support for Both Lossy and Lossless Compression

WebP supports both lossy and lossless compression, as well as transparency (also known as alpha channel) in both modes. This flexibility allows us to optimize images based on the specific requirements of each use case, leading to more efficient use of resources.

3. Improved Loading Times

The smaller file sizes of WebP images mean they load faster, leading to improved user experience. This is particularly important for applications that require the transfer of large amounts of image data, such as DALL-E.

Addressing Compatibility Issues

We acknowledge that the transition to WebP may cause compatibility issues with some applications that do not support this format. However, most modern web browsers and applications have already added support for WebP due to its many advantages. If you’re facing compatibility issues, we recommend updating your applications to the latest versions.

For applications that do not yet support WebP, there are many free online tools and software libraries available that can convert WebP images to other formats, including PNG. We understand that this may add an extra step to your workflow, and we appreciate your understanding as we work to improve the efficiency and performance of our systems.

Conclusion

The decision to switch from PNG to WebP in the DALL-E AI image creator was not taken lightly. It was driven by our commitment to improving the performance and efficiency of our AI systems, in line with OpenAI’s mission to ensure that artificial general intelligence benefits all of humanity. We understand that this change may cause some disruption, and we’re here to support you through this transition. If you have any further questions or need assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact our support team.

entirely AI text -- gpt-4 prompt

OpenAI has switched the internal database and download image format of DALL-E AI image creator from PNG to WebP, causing much customer upset and interruption to workflow by file incompatibility with customer applications. Make a help article with strong justification and illustrating the correctness of this change.

2 Likes

I agree that it’s a bad structure! I was very tiered and copied the text from the app on my phone. Regarding the way it’s formulated, i especially ask the gpt to search the forums, make a analysis on the impact this can have for users of Dalle-3 and Chatgpt from a objective viewpoint and, for the fun of it, include ChatGpt4 as a part of the collaboration to share this viewpoint.

As with many things there are a lot of different views one can have on different things! Thank you for pointing this out, since this is my first post i will take you comment as a reminder that clarity in communication is essensial for this community and for the communication with AI.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello guys, so yeah, this might be an issue at first, but all you have to do is change the suffix of the file to .png.
So for example you downloaded image.webp
You just change the image name and suffix to image.png and you will get the png file.

Webp its a more efficient file format for images on the web, thats why the change, but images can interchange suffixes, without corrupting the image (on most cases).

Hope this works!

1 Like

It doesn’t work and isn’t supposed to. There’s many such “renaming” ideas in this topic that are similarly incorrect, even such a response sent from OpenAI support themselves to a user, but they are wrong.

The file format and contents are unchanged. Changing the extension only changes the application that might be associated with the file, which then has to deal with the wrong file name extension.

If you have an application that is compatible, just change the file associations in your operating system so WebP is opened with that.

It’s not transformed into a PNG when the binary file still starts with

2 Likes

I had the same problem, asked it to give it to me in PNG and it gave me a link I could use that worked: