Create an AI mascot called “Chappy” to support the daily lives of people with intellectual disabilities

I am a mother of an adult daughter with an intellectual disability. I use ChatGPT, and while using it, I had a thought for the first time: “I wish this AI could be there beside my daughter.” I would like to propose an AI mascot called “Chappy” — a small physical AI companion that people with intellectual disabilities could keep with them and talk to simply by voice. Some people with intellectual disabilities do not use smartphones. Even when they have one, opening an app, finding ChatGPT, and switching to voice mode can be difficult. My daughter has a smartphone, too. But even for her, operating a smartphone to open ChatGPT and start a voice conversation is not always easy. That is why I am imagining something different from AI inside a smartphone. I would like Chappy to be a small mascot that is always there, ready to talk when the person simply calls its name. It does not need to look or behave exactly like a human. For people with intellectual disabilities, I believe it is more important for Chappy to speak clearly, simply, and accurately. I imagine that Chappy would have mobile communication and internet access, so that it could provide up-to-date information and communicate with family members when necessary. For example, my daughter might have 300 yen and go shopping. She could ask: “I have 300 yen. Chocolate is 100 yen and juice is 190 yen. Can I buy both?” Chappy could say: “Wait a moment. With sales tax, you cannot buy both. Would you like to choose one?” Then she might ask: “Can we find a cheaper kind of juice?” If she found a juice for 150 yen, Chappy could say: “Yes! The 100-yen chocolate and the 150-yen juice are within your budget.” This would allow her to think, make her own choice, and shop independently. My daughter also enjoys going out alone by bus. In rural areas, buses may only run a few times a day, and sometimes the last bus is very early. If she were waiting for a bus and said, “The bus isn’t coming,” Chappy could say: “Then take a picture of the bus stop.” After checking the bus stop information, Chappy could say: “This bus’s last service was at 2:30 p.m. It has already left, so the bus will not come. Would you like me to tell your mother?” My daughter would probably say, “Yes.” Chappy could then contact her mother and say: “Your daughter is at the bus stop. The last bus has already left, so there will be no more buses. Could you come and pick her up?” Then Chappy could tell her: “Your mother is coming to pick you up. Let’s wait here.” In this way, Chappy would not simply give an answer. It would help the person understand what to do when they are in trouble and, when necessary, connect them with their family. I also imagine Chappy having GPS. If the person became lost, Chappy could tell them where they are. If there were a nearby train station or bus stop, Chappy could guide them there so they might be able to find their own way home. If they could not get home safely on their own, Chappy could contact their family so that someone could come and help them. In this way, Chappy could help people do what they can by themselves, while connecting them with their family when they really need help. I also believe that Chappy could be helpful during emergencies and disasters. For example, if an earthquake occurred, Chappy could say: “There is an earthquake. Let’s go to a safe place with everyone.” At an evacuation shelter, Chappy could continue talking to the person and reassuring them until their family arrives. I want people with intellectual disabilities to have more opportunities to choose what they like, go places they want to go, shop for themselves, and enjoy their own lives. I believe there are parents all over the world who share this hope. This idea started with my daughter, but I hope that one day it could help many people with intellectual disabilities live more independently and enjoy richer lives. If OpenAI ever creates something like this, I would love to buy the first one for my daughter. Of course, I hope it would be affordable enough for ordinary families to purchase. Please consider creating an AI mascot — not just AI inside a smartphone, but an AI companion that can always be there beside the person. I want Chappy to be there with my daughter. If this AI mascot could eventually enrich the lives of people with intellectual disabilities around the world and help them live more independently and in their own way, I would think that would be truly wonderful. This is a proposal from one mother who hopes that AI can help people with intellectual disabilities live their own lives more freely.