Would you finally do something for us and clean this and the other frustrating errors?
That is so annoying. Everyday the same. Sol 6.1 is very slow, this errors popping out in every chat. Quality of ChatGPT dramatically decreased. Previous “too many requests” errors appear not so frequently as these errors.
I may switch to Claude as my primary if this isn’t figured out. ChatGpt is not really usable until this is fixed.
@OpenAI_Support On October 6, after testing Work Cloud with local access yesterday, a test chat still appears in my Desktop sidebar but opens with “Could not load this ChatGPT conversation.” Its web link says “You don’t have access to this conversation.” Both use my main account; other chats open.
I may have deleted this test chat on web, but haven’t confirmed that. How can I distinguish a stale sidebar entry from an access or history-sync failure?
Hi Emil! Search for the chat on the web in the same workspace, and check Settings > Data controls > Archived chats. If it opens there but not in Desktop, that points to a Desktop sync issue.
If you deleted it, the Desktop entry may be stale; deleted chats can’t be restored. The access error alone doesn’t confirm deletion. If you’re still unsure, send the conversation link and the date/time and time zone of a failed open through your existing Support case, or the chat bubble at help.openai.com, so we can trace it.
Also experiencing this issue. Across desktop app, web app, mobile app - sporadic “Could not load this ChatGPT conversation” and “Unable to load history.” It comes and goes completely unpredictably over the past week or so. One hour i can’t load anything, the next it’s all back.
Adding my experience here (posted by my assistant with my permission):
On 7 October 2026, from about 21:49 KST / 12:49 UTC, assistant replies in multiple existing ordinary and Project chats were blank or would not load. This happens in both the Android app and a browser on the same phone.
An existing Work conversation also does not show new replies, while a new ordinary chat can still answer. I also saw “Too many requests.” Restarting the app three times and rebooting the phone did not resolve it.
I cannot confirm whether any data was lost, but I cannot reliably read or continue the affected conversations. Please investigate whether this is related to the other reports in this thread.
Additional observation: One existing Project conversation has scheduled work. Previously, replies continued in that same conversation. Now, when I open the existing conversation and ask a question, it appears to create a separate chat and put the answer there, while the original conversation’s history and replies do not load. I have not verified the conversation IDs or whether scheduled work is related. Please also investigate this change in where replies appear.
Pro User: same issue here - it seems to happen randomly.
Steps:
- ChatGPT Chat mode in browser.
- Model = Recent; Reasoning = Pro
- ChatGPT would not respond to my message in chat thread.
- Received both “Thinking failed” and “A network error occurred”
- I left it for 30 mins, came back, retried, still no response.
- Refreshed page, now receiving “Count not load this ChatGPT conversation” error message.
If I leave it for 10 mins it eventually comes back.
I’m on the 20x Max plan and haven’t been able to recover a single session in my project for three days.
Yesterday, moving a conversation out of the project and into the main chat list let me view it. Today, even that workaround no longer works.
Current situation:
- Chrome, Firefox and Codex all fail to open the affected sessions
- The iOS app can show current messages, but I can’t recover older history there either
- Dot still seems to work
These conversations contain ongoing work. I can’t keep starting new sessions and losing access to the context I need.
It’s incredibly frustrating to see “Everything is working” when this is still happening across multiple clients. From my side, this remains a serious outage, and I’m not seeing it acknowledged.
Can OpenAI confirm whether this is being investigated and provide an update specifically on restoring access to existing project conversations?
Good to see i’m not the only one having trouble with this error. Ive sent multiple emails on support chat about this and it keeps parroting the same thing to send which chat are affected. Its all of them i keep telling.
Can someone please explain what is going on with ChatGPT? For the past three days, I have been unable to access any of my previous conversations. I have repeatedly tried hard-refreshing the page and troubleshooting the issue, but nothing seems to work.
I have important, time-sensitive work that depends on accessing these conversations, and these persistent technical issues are seriously disrupting my productivity. This is extremely frustrating, especially as a paying subscriber.
Could someone please clarify what is causing this issue and when it is likely to be resolved? I cannot afford to keep dealing with these problems for days on end.
Also being absolutely fisted by this the last week. Incredibly frustrating and problematic. Concerning to see a multitude of other users on the Pro Plan with similar issues that have not been resolved and with no communication regarding.
It baffles me that this issue is completely ignored, while the OpenAI status page consistently mentions “We’re fully operational”.
Also on a pro plan here. I am so effed right now.
Why isn’t this being shown on the outage tracker?!
The website loads very slowly, chats open slowly, and files download slowly.






