Controlled interactive fantasy story with gpt project

No, that’s not what I’m referring to. You’re referencing something else happening within the story. That’s a common technique done in stories.

I’m talking about something completely different.

Got it I get what you mean. I didn’t see your clarification above :+1:

If I understand @mad_cat correctly, there is no Inn in the alternate story. It’s a spaceship in Andromeda.

1 Like

Based on the OP’s worldbuilding:

Certainly! Here are 10 events that could be occurring simultaneously within the story universe of “Veil of the Forgotten King,” yet are not directly interacting with Ryan or the main storyline:

1. Reformation of the Arcane Council: In the distant capital of the current ruling kingdom, a new Arcane Council is being formed to address the growing concerns about the dwindling power of modern mages and the reliance on magical artifacts. Scholars and politicians are debating how to restore the lost knowledge of the Lumina Veins.
  2. The Rise of the Black Sun Cult: A secretive cult known as the Black Sun is gaining followers in the underbelly of various cities. They believe that by tapping into forbidden Aetherium flows, they can bring about a new era of darkness that will empower them, at the risk of collapsing the world’s magic system.
  3. Rediscovery of an Ancient Artifact: Deep within the ruins of a forgotten city, a group of adventurers unearth a powerful artifact from the era of Lumaris. This artifact, a Lumina Vein Crystal, still hums with untapped energy, hinting at the possibility of reigniting the old magic.
  4. The Quiet Invasion of Shadow Beasts: In the remote region of Gloomspire, reports are increasing of shadow beasts appearing at night. These creatures are remnants of the demon war, slowly creeping back into the world through weakened dimensional barriers.
  5. Aetherium Mining Crisis: In the mountainous region of Stonehaven, the largest Aetherium mine has suddenly run dry, leading to economic turmoil. This crisis is forcing miners to delve deeper into uncharted areas, where the ancient magic still lingers, causing mysterious accidents and disappearances.
  6. The Celestial Comet’s Approach: Astronomers have discovered that a rare celestial comet, which last appeared during the height of Lumaris, is approaching. The comet’s return is believed to enhance Aetherium flows, potentially causing magical anomalies across the world.
  7. The Pilgrimage of the Order of Dawn: A religious sect known as the Order of Dawn is embarking on a sacred pilgrimage to the remnants of Lumaris, seeking to uncover divine prophecies that could guide the world through its current magical decline.
  8. The Forsaken Siege: A small, isolated fortress known as Ebonhold is under siege by a forgotten army of undead warriors. These soldiers were cursed during the demon war and have now been reawakened, still bound to their unending mission.
  9. The Drift of the Floating Isles: A series of floating islands, once anchored by ancient magic, have begun to drift unpredictably across the sky. These islands are home to rare flora and fauna, and their movement is causing chaos in the air trade routes, disrupting commerce and travel.
  10. The Silent Epidemic: In the coastal city of Tidebreak, a mysterious illness is spreading. The sickness is believed to be caused by Aetherium poisoning due to overuse of magic in the area. The city’s healers are struggling to find a cure, and rumors of a quarantine are beginning to circulate.

These events enrich the world and contribute to its depth, adding layers of complexity and intrigue that can influence or be influenced by the main narrative without directly intersecting with Ryan’s story.

And within icdev2dev story:

Here are 10 events occurring simultaneously within the story universe of Arjun’s tale, yet not directly interacting with the main storyline:

1. The Reawakening of the Naga Tribe: Deep within the forests of Nagaloka, the ancient tribe of Nagas, long thought dormant, is beginning to stir. They are sensing the decline of dharma and preparing to reassert their influence in the world, potentially bringing back the forgotten art of Naga Shastra.
  2. The Quest for the Lost Manuscripts: In a remote monastery hidden in the Himalayas, a group of sages has embarked on a quest to recover the lost Vedic manuscripts that detail the forgotten knowledge of divine weapons and the old ways of harnessing Vedic energy. Their success could restore much of the ancient power that has been lost to time.
  3. The Gathering of Asuras: In the dark realm of Patalaloka, the Asuras, who were once defeated in the Kurukshetra war, are regrouping under a new leader. They are plotting their return to the mortal world, seeking revenge on the descendants of the warriors who once vanquished them.
  4. The Unseen Battle of the Celestials: In the heavens, a silent and unseen battle is taking place between the Devas (gods) and the Asuras (demons). This celestial conflict is affecting the flow of divine energy to the mortal world, subtly influencing the outcomes of events and the strength of divine weapons.
  5. The Purification of the Ganges: At the source of the sacred Ganges River, a group of enlightened sages is performing an intense purification ritual. They believe the river, which has been tainted by the sins of mankind, must be cleansed to restore its divine power and sustain the dharma in the world.
  6. The Eclipse of the Kali Yuga: Astrologers and sages are observing an unusual cosmic alignment that they believe signals the impending end of the Kali Yuga, the current age of discord and decline. This event is causing widespread concern and preparation among spiritual leaders, who fear the final days of the age may bring unprecedented chaos.
  7. The Rise of a New Warrior Sect: In the southern kingdom of Kalinga, a new warrior sect is emerging. These warriors, inspired by the legends of the Mahabharata, are training in the old ways of combat and meditation, aiming to revive the lost martial traditions and uphold dharma in a world that has largely forgotten it.
  8. The Secret Construction of the Brahmastra Vault: In the ruins of an ancient city, a group of artisans and mystics is secretly constructing a vault designed to contain and protect the last remaining Brahmastra. This weapon, too powerful to be used, is being hidden away to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands.
  9. The Pilgrimage to Mount Kailash: A group of devoted yogis is making a perilous journey to Mount Kailash, the sacred abode of Lord Shiva. They seek to meditate and gain the divine insight necessary to guide the world back to righteousness, as the spiritual fabric of society continues to unravel.
  10. The Reincarnation of Vyasa: The sage Vyasa, author of the Mahabharata, has been reincarnated in a small village. Unbeknownst to those around him, this child is slowly regaining memories of his past life and will eventually play a pivotal role in chronicling the next great epic of this age.

These events contribute to the depth and richness of the universe, providing a backdrop of ongoing struggles, spiritual quests, and hidden dangers that subtly influence or parallel the main story of Arjun.

Please let me know if this stuff I conjured up with the AI gives you insights into your perspective story universes or inspires you with ideas. I used to mentor writers, so it’s nice to offer some insight once again.

1 Like

And just for fun, I had the AI imagine that both of your story universes could co-exist:

In a vast, interconnected multiverse where the boundaries between worlds are fluid and porous, the universes of Ryan and Arjun exist as parallel realities, each governed by its unique blend of magic and divine power. In this multiverse, the ancient energies of Aetherium and Vedic power are different expressions of the same cosmic force, interpreted through the cultural and spiritual lenses of their respective worlds. Occasionally, rifts open between these realities, allowing brief, subtle exchanges of knowledge, artifacts, or even individuals, who find themselves caught between the mystical traditions of one universe and the divine laws of another. These rifts are rare and often occur at points of intense magical or spiritual energy, such as the forgotten ruins of Lumaris in Ryan’s world or the sacred grounds of Kurukshetra in Arjun’s. Though these worlds remain largely unaware of each other’s existence, their parallel struggles for balance, righteousness, and mastery over cosmic forces resonate across the multiverse, hinting at a deeper, shared destiny that could one day bring them into closer alignment—or devastating conflict.

1 Like

Bro calm down…. lets get one setting and world consistent first :joy: I love it…never thought this’d get any traction figured I’d be called a nerd and to go away with my anime esk edgy character :rofl::rofl:

Oh, you have no idea how deep my insights :star2: on these kinds of projects go. I’m giving you just the surface level stuff so as not to overwhelm you, so you can master :man_mage: that before evolving on some more advanced concepts. You’re at the very tip of the iceberg :mountain_snow: of what you can do with creativity with the AI.

And this is me being calm —if I got excited :boom:, I’d churn out 100 pages of what you could accomplish :brain: with your story in short order. This, this is just three quick prompts I wrote off the top of my head.

1 Like

My ultimate aim in story telling is to find a way to map between representation theory and algebraic number theory

Langlands program - Wikipedia through controlled interactive story telling between those two groups. This is why I built Selflet to allow for controlled exploration of the space.

Another of the ideas is how to make Terrance Tao bring Srinivas Ramanujan and Leonhard Euler on the same page as of 2024 to glean better insights from them.

Yeah, at the Future Fiction Academy we’ve had an automatic book machine prototype since March. But… the AI is dumb.

Getting started is the easiest part of this and it really impresses. Where AI written story falls down is beyond Act 1.

It relies on coincidence and deus ex machina to solve a problem. Here’s a case from a women’s fiction I wrote had a young girl move away from her best friend in chapter 2. By chapter 10 the AI had her best friend move to NY by her because the brief said the young girl makes friends at school, it recycled the friend from Chapter 2 and thought it was doing good by giving an explanation for the friend moving to NY (her Dad accepted a job at a local university).

My first software project we built, Rexy, allows authors to sequence prompts. I’ve used rexy to run and make 40-50k rough drafts for months. The problem is without a human directing the action, it gets dumb really quick. Entire chapters where nothing really happens they literally talk about how happy they are… or taking down that big boss three chapters ago. And that’s because that’s the outline the AI makes.

We call it components, the character list, story world info, outline, genre, writing style etc. if humans don’t revise and punch up the components, it sucks.

Raptor Write allows authors for free to work really easily document by document with AI, this lets people pants. And it’s a new methodology altogether.

I’m glad you’re excited OP but many of us have been working on story writing with AI for years. :slight_smile: it’s exciting at first, but run through a bit and you’ll see that half way through it’s just rubbish.

3 Likes

Cool to know someone else is working on similar concepts. I thank you for your patience. :saluting_face: keep it up. Starting over that many times must be mind numbing :sob:

The problem is without a human directing the action, it gets dumb really quick. Entire chapters where nothing really happens they literally talk about how happy they are… or taking down that big boss three chapters ago. And that’s because that’s the outline the AI makes.

This is why me personally I don’t let the AI write it for me, I collaborate with the AI, give it my ideas and together we make sure its told right. No amount of advanced configurations we do will lead the AI to replace human creativity. That said, we can configure the AI to be a great writing partner and collaborate with us to take the story to the next level or innovate entirely new concepts. So I agree with you that human creativity must remain an active part of the development process.

1 Like

Par for the course. Many writers have had to do multiple restarts.

Thanks for the great feedback!

As @grandmastergoofball mentions, it must have been mind-numbing to go through so many drafts. I guess that the story begins to overwhelm the context window; so that AI looses track of what it has written before and/or looses track of the overall plot. So it unravels.

@mad_cat @eawestwrites

I agree that human creativity is needed to enable stories to be written and AI can be used an assistant to aid the process.

However from the perspective of someone who is new to the writing space (say my pre-teen nieces), it might be better for the AI to guide them at first. In that context, it is important for the AI to provide some outlines at first and attune them to the act of writing. As they become full blown writers, then they can begin to tune to more taking the initiative to write (and use something like raptorwriter).

Having every piece of configuration generated by the AI being configurable so that it can produce the story; but guided the user; is the goal for me. As a part of doing that, I have introduced a concept called “Ignore Message”. The concept is that certain messages in the conversation (aka specialized theads) can be ignored at chat completion time. Of course this will extend beyond just the “Ignore Message”

The video link (https://youtu.be/PZzKJLk5uP4) illustrates this concept. Sorry; my mic was muted at the time of the recording; but it shows the principle.

I will be adding additional aspects into the conversation thread (such as summaries) so as to not overwhelm the LLMs with the all the details.

It is really mind blowing, when I think about it, how much information do we as writers, keep in mind while writing a novel.

1 Like

Just remember, writers for thousands of years got by learning the craft without the use of AI. To suggestion anyone is better off with the AI to guide them at first is a slippery slope, especially with the limitations the AI offer. Rather, they are better off with learning first how to use the AI effectively to know how to get the AI to mentor them, if they want the AI to guide them at first. A good writing mentor can help those beginning, but even a mentor knows that a good foundation is a requirement and bad prompting can lead to poor foundation.

I don’t disagree. But, really the question is : is someone better off with no mentor or a imperfect mentor?

Also it is a little bit of catch-22. How do they learn to use AI effectively? I know that Raptorwriter does have some interesting tutorials; but they seem to be geared for more advanced writers.

The problem with younger or newer authors learning solely from AI writing is again… it lacks the rich diversity that is the literary cannon.

“Little did she know” “the glow of the sun” run hundreds of AI writing samples and you see the same cliched phrases over and over.

Ai writing also typically does 4 ideas in a sentence when humans do 3.

Finally, echolalia. Dialogue between characters is very wooden, echoes the other character and lacks subtext or unique motivation.

So using AI to evaluate the AI output for success of literary device, adding your own spin, etc can help. But a lot of reading or listening to audiobooks in addition to writing is the best way to grow as a writer.

2 Likes

Very much agree!

“…a smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes…” and so many other AI-isms… You really do still need to know about pacing, characters, etc. to create something good.

All that said, AI is a powerful tool that can make you more efficient - like a force-multiplier rather than a magic bullet…

The more I know, the less I know. :slight_smile:

Amazing insights…that I suppose can only be gleaned from experience.

I didn’t have a writing mentor when I learned, and I became masterful at the craft.

Also, I learned to use the AI effectively by asking the AI to create a course on how to use the AI. I in fact turned it into a book on Amazon. Like most of the questions I see on here and on social media are questions to ask the AI. My knowledge came from asking the system tough questions.

So I’ve just disproved both of your questions.

1 Like