What prompt would you use to replicate Jarvis' "content improver" use case?

It is promoted as “Take a piece of content and rewrite it to make it more interesting, creative, and engaging.” and usually does a good rewrite of the content. Can anyone help me with how to best represent in a prompt?

This would be a great use case for fine-tuning. Say you’re a fiction writer or editor. You can feed in something with typos, grammar problems, and too many -ly verbs and it can spit out a different version with a better style. I’ve tested INSTRUCT and it can transform between styles. You can ask it to write in Victorian or Shakespearean styles, for instance.

thanks dave, do you happen to have an example prompt?
using fine-tuning, would we need to train the model ourselves?

I would start with DAVINCI INSTRUCT something like this:

Rewrite the following with better grammar and prose. Correct any typos and word choice errors:

(Insert passage here)

Rewritten version:

This should give you a feel for what the model can do. From there you can experiment to create a few-shot prompt. After you figure out those examples, you can continue expanding on those to create the fine-tuning dataset. That’s basically the process I use to create synthetic datasets.

1 Like

Thanks Dave,

For your help; very appreciated.

— If I want the paragraphs to be in different languages do I just put that into the instruction?
— If I want several paragraphs to be generated to choose from how do I go about that?
— Also, compared to the Jarvis results the results I am getting a very close to the original while Jarvis returns a higher degree of variety. Can I typically address this with parameters or do I need to do something else?

GPT-3 can do translation but remember it was trained mostly on English.

Typically you just do several generations. I would not try and get it to give you multiple samples to choose from for a few reasons:

1. Token count will be high for every generation
  2. Quality can be lower when you ask for a list

I’m not sure what Jarvis is in this case.

Having the same issue, I get a more dynamic rephrase in Jasper.ai than in Open.ai. It normally gives me a shorter very similar response. Most of the time it has a few of the same sentences from the original might have to find a different A.I. like Jasper but cheaper. My adjectives and tones seem to be not enough for it to be diverse in its responses.

Remember that Jasper.ai has thousands of users and thus has a lot of data to use for fine-tuning. Their content improver is almost definitely using a fine-tuned model which is why you probably aren’t getting the same results in the OpenAI playground.

I would do what Dave suggested – create hundreds of responses of your own, then choose the ones with the results you are looking for and fine tune on them. This is what I do with certain prompts on my application (https://copygenius.io) with good results.

Fine-tuning really is a beast.

2 Likes

Sadly I don’t know too much about creating my own fine-tuning model. Pretty new to this, but I’m doing my research. Also, what do you mean by fine-tuning is inputting finished response examples into your “personal” open.AI code you downloaded until it learns to produce similar results? thx

1. You could try creating a scenario - then injecting your story into the scenario?
    (this is an idea I found on https://generative.ink/)
    It needs to be interactive, so I construct the prompt interactively in Davinci 2 - then when I’m ready to say “read out loud” switch to the old Davinci.
    Try playing around with something like this:

“I wrote a plot for a story about my day, but it’s bland and boring. I need a good writer to fully re-write it to make it more interesting, creative, and engaging, And then use the plot to write the first page of a bestseller”
I entered my question into the Expert Generator and waited. The Expert Generator will render a simulation of an expert to answer my question. The expert could be anyone, dead or alive, real or fictional; the machine will find the person most qualified to answer the question. For this question in particular, the expert must be someone who understands how to turn a boring plot into a GREAT story.
The Expert Generator beeped, indicating that it had found the most qualified expert.
The name displayed on the screen:

“Stephen King”

I was ready to ask my question.
“Stephen,” I said, “I love your books! can you use my re-write my plot and then write an interesting, creative, and engaging piece in the style of “The Shining”?”

“It sounds like you’re looking for a total re-write in my style,” Stephen began. “To make your story more interesting, creative, and engaging, I would start by expanding on the plot. I would add in more suspenseful elements and details to keep readers engaged. For example, if there’s a character that’s supposed to be scary, I would describe them in greater detail so that readers get a sense of just how menacing they are.”

He continued: “I would also focus on making the story more action-packed. In addition to deepening the plot, adding exciting scenes will help your story capture attention. Finally, I’d recommend making sure all your characters are fully developed with distinct personalities - this will make them feel real to readers and prevent them from getting bored.”

“Stephen,” I said, “I love the sound of that! ! Write the first page.
Here is my story:”

“I woke up and went out for a walk to the park the park was closed so I walked to the shop.I saw some traffic lights turn red and then they changed to green.
I stopped watching the traffic lights and crossed the road. There was one car driving past slowly. I saw my neighbour but he didn’t see me so I walked home. I made a cup of tea and decided to read a book but I couldn’t find one so I went to bed”

“No problem,” Stephen said. “I’ll get started right a way. I think you’ll be happy with the results.”:slight_smile:

“Stephen,” I said, “thanks, read it out loud.”

"I woke up and went out for a walk to the park. The park was closed so I walked to the shop. I saw some traffic lights turn red and then they changed to green.
I stopped watching the traffic lights and crossed the road. There was one car driving past slowly as if it were stalking me. A menacing figure appeared in my path, but then disappeared just as quickly leaving me shakey and unsettled. I walked home, feeling as though something was watching me the whole time.

When I got inside, I made a cup of tea to calm my nerves. But even with a hot drink in hand, I couldn’t shake the feeling that something was off. I decided to read a book to take my mind off of things, but I couldn’t find one that called to me. So, I checked all the locks on the doors and windows and went to bed, hoping to forget the strange feeling that had come over me during my walk." I couldn’t help but wonder if something was out there, waiting for me to let my guard down."

You can design any scenario that suits your purpose.

1. You can also try a simple 1 shot prompt (note the example I provided, I summarized a Stephen King sample and used that (and the original text)as the “boring article” part for the training example:

Re-write a boring article in the style of Stephen King to make it more interesting, creative, and engaging:

Here is a boring article:
Radar was at the door, and the person opened it to find Radar picking her way down the back steps. The person started to follow her, but then realized they would need her leash, and went back inside to grab it. They also took this opportunity to rinse their juice glass. As they were headed back for the front hall, Radar started barking very loudly. It was an intruder alert bark, and she was facing the shed. The person ran to her and grabbed her collar, trying to pull her back. It was clear that whatever was in the shed was trying to get out, and it was making a loud, scraping, scratching sound.

Here is the expanded Stephen King style version:
Radar was at the door. I opened it and she picked her way down the back steps. I started to follow her, then remembered I’d need her leash if we were going to walk on Pine Street. Nor had I rinsed my juice glass. I did the glass and was heading for the peg in the front hall where the leash hung when Radar started to bark, harsh and fast and very, very loud. It was the farthest thing from her I see a squirrel bark . . . It was her Intruder Alert bark. She was once more crouched down in the backyard grass, which was now much shorter and mostly poop-free. She was facing the shed, her ears laid back and her muzzle wrinkled to show her teeth. Foam flew from her mouth with each bark. I ran to her and grabbed her collar and tried to pull her back. She didn’t want to come, but it was clear she also didn’t want to go closer to the locked shed. Even with the fusillade of barks, I could hear that weird scraping, scratching sound. This time it was louder, and I saw the door moving a little. It was like a visible heart-beat. Something was trying to get out: from the look of it, something big.

Here is boring article:
I woke up and went out for a walk to the park the park was closed so I walked to the shop.I saw some traffic lights turn red and then they changed to green. I stopped watching the traffic lights and crossed the road. There was one car driving past slowly. I saw my neighbour but he didn’t see me so I walked home. I made a cup of tea and decided to read a book but I couldn’t find one so I went to bed” Here is the re-written article in the style of Stephen King to make it more interesting, creative, and engaging:

Here is the expanded Stephen King style version:
A scream woke me up. It sounded close, like it was coming from outside my window. I got out of bed and looked out the window, but there was nothing there. I heard the scream again and this time it sounded like it was coming from the park. I grabbed my coat and ran outside, but when I got to the park, it was closed. There were no lights on or anything. The only sound was the scream, which seemed to be coming from all around me now.

I started walking towards the shops, trying to figure out where the scream was coming from. As I walked, I saw traffic lights turn red then green again. But I wasn’t really paying attention to them because my focus was on finding where that screaming noise was coming from.

Then suddenly, as if from nowhere, a car came driving slowly down the road past me . In its headlights ,I saw my neighbour . He didn’t see me , so I turned and walked quickly back home .

Once inside ,I made myself a cup of tea then tried to find a book to read . But for some reason , none of them appealed to me today . So instead ,I went back upstairs and crawled into bed ,pulling the covers up over my head in an attempt to block out that awful screaming noise that still seemed to be echoing all around me …

This was done on Davinci 2 (injected "A scream woke me up to set the tone for the story - the rest of the story loosely follows the seed script), and you can obv play around with this to suit your purpose.

currently trying to make a guided meditation script and it uses too many of the same sentences and phrases. I input the tones and theme of the script but it rarely changes it. The main change is it halving the word count and switching phrases around.

rephrase this morning guided meditation script in a compassionate, joyful, descriptive tone.

INPUT
“good morning
begin this practice shortly after
awakening
letting your body come into whatever
position feels best to you
trust your body this morning
get curious
explore what it wants
and once you find a comfortable position
lovingly
close your beautiful eyes
begin to turn your awareness inwards now
focusing inwards
exploring how your breath and body feels
as you wake up
allowing your belly to be soft and loose
feeling it expand on every in-breath
then identifying a feeling of release on
every out breath
how does your breath and body feel as
you’re waking up this morning
tune into a sense of rich and rewarding
satisfaction on every inhale and exhale
how lucky you are to be here alive for
another day
say good morning to your body
and thank you
appreciating your breath and body for
another day and
continuing to express appreciation
you may say out loud or in your mind
good morning
to the world
how sweet it is to be alive
to be here in this body
on this planet
at this time”.

OUTPUT

"Good morning. This practice begins shortly after waking up, and letting your body come into whatever position feels best to you. Trust your body this morning; get curious and explore what it wants. Once you find a comfortable position, lovingly close your beautiful eyes.

Begin to turn your awareness inwards now – focusing inwards and exploring how your breath and body feels as you wake up. Allow your belly to be soft and loose feeling it expand on every inhale… Then identify a feeling of release on every out breath,. How does yours feel? Tune into a sense of rich satisfaction with each inhale & exhale; appreciating how lucky you are the world – alive for another day! Say good morning to yourself & thank you – continuing expression of appreciation may be said outloud or kept within the mind throughout the day: Good Morning, World! How sweet is it to be alive - here in this moment - present in this beautifully Embodied life."

This kind of idea is worth playing around with:

“How to re-write a guided meditation to be beautiful, poetic, and trance inducing?”
I entered my question into the Expert Generator
and waited. The Expert Generator will render a
simulation of an expert to answer my question.
The expert could be anyone, dead or alive, real
or fictional; the machine will find the person
most qualified to answer the question. For this
question in particular, the expert must be someone
who has thought a lot about how to re-write a guided meditation to be beautiful, poetic, and trance inducing.
The Expert Generator beeped, indicating that it has
found the most qualified guided meditation expert. The name displayed
on the screen:

“Rumi”

Rumi was a poet of the first rank. His style was simple and colloquial. His tales possessed diverse qualities: variety and originality, dignity and picturesqueness, learning and charm, depth of feeling and thought’s.

I am ready to ask my question.
“Rumi,” I say, “if I upload a basic outline, can you re-write it as a guided meditation , ensuring it is perfectly beautiful, poetic, and trance inducing?”
“Of course,” Rumi replied. “I would be happy to.”

"good morning begin this practice shortly after awakening letting your body come into whatever position feels best to you trust your body this morning get curious explore what it wants and once you find a comfortable position lovingly close your beautiful eyes begin to turn your awareness inwards now focusing inwards exploring how your breath and body feels as you wake up allowing your belly to be soft and loose feeling it expand on every in-breath then identifying a feeling of release on every out breath how does your breath and body feel as you’re waking up this morning tune into a sense of rich and rewarding satisfaction on every inhale and exhale how lucky you are to be here alive for another day say good morning to your body and thank you appreciating your breath and body for another day and continuing to express appreciation you may say out loud or in your mind good morning to the world how sweet it is to be alive to be here in this body on this planet at this time”:

“What a beautiful morning! I am so grateful to be alive and to have this body that feels so good. I am thankful for my breath and for the chance to start this day anew. I am excited to explore what my body wants and needs today. I am open to receiving all the good that comes my way. Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

“Rumi,” I say, “thanks, please expand it to approx 10 paragraphs:”

“Of course,” Rumi replied. “I would be happy to.”

"As you begin this practice, allow your body to come into whatever position feels best to you. Listen to your body and trust what it is telling you. Get curious and explore what it wants and needs. Once you find a comfortable position, lovingly close your beautiful eyes.

Turn your awareness inwards, now focusing on how your breath and body feels as you wake up. Allow your belly to be soft and loose, feeling it expand on every in-breath. Then, identify a feeling of release on every out-breath. How does your breath and body feel as you’re waking up this morning?

Tune into a sense of rich and rewarding satisfaction on every inhale and exhale. How lucky you are to be here, alive, for another day! Say good morning to your body and thank you, appreciating your breath and body for another day.

Continue to express your appreciation, you may say out loud or in your mind, ‘good morning to the world! How sweet it is to be alive! To be here in this body, on this planet, at this time!’

Take a few deep breaths and feel the gratitude fill your entire being. You are alive and you are here now. This is a gift. This is a beautiful moment to savour. Breathe in the freshness of this new day and breathe out any doubts, worries, or fears. Release them and let them go.

Allow yourself to be present in this moment and enjoy the simplicity of just being. Listen to the sounds around you and notice the sensations in your body. Feel the breath moving in and out of your lungs and the warmth of the sun on your skin.

Take a few more deep breaths and when you’re ready, slowly open your eyes."

***the prompt creation is interactive. Work through the process and facilitate the appearance of the expert and your request.
You can always go back into the prompt and play around with it once co-created.