ChatGPT sometimes not finish its code or sentence, how do I solve this?

ChatGPT often will not finish its code or sentence, how to solve?

1 Like

You can always ask it to continue its sentence. Also, please provide feedback if something seems off about the response it gives you.

4 Likes

I think it is enough to write: continue

6 Likes

I find “Continue in a codebox” works best.
You could also get it to continue from a certain function if you say “continue in a codebox from def XXX”

7 Likes

thanks…it works fine now with continue

2 Likes

I don’t know why but it won’t reply the rest of the code, and even when it says it will continue gives code not related for the first one. It understand the context of not showing the full code, it apologies for the problem, and generate new code.

1 Like

for me it says Sure, let’s continue. Here’s the updated script: and then it writes again from the start

1 Like

I experience the same behavior. Continue in Codebox simply restarts the prompt. Continue sometimes also leads to restarting with different code.

2 Likes

This happens not because of ChatGPT itself, but due to the limitations of the chat interface. I believe the reason why even when we tell ChatGPT to break up the answer in chunks it still is not sure how to bypass the limitations because they are set on the interface, not on ChatGPT’s programming. I can’t solve the issue and its a PAIN. It is so useful for programming but it is rendered useless by the character limit the website has. Please HELP!

1 Like

When programming code with the help of Chat GPT, it is very problematic because missed characters or alterations on the code will ruin its functionality. It is very hard to get Chat GPT to continue from the exact line the code was cut short on. It will alter the code, it is not able to start from where it left off and if it does it will alter the code or combine it with previous iterations. It is VERY hard to work through this limitation. It would be great if it could export .txt or if there was an easy and orderly way for it to break up its answer in chunks without losing track or altering the data. PLEASE HELP US!

2 Likes

Same problem here. I have the feeling that this issue is intentional to force us to pay for it.

2 Likes

No, not at all. It’s usually to do with the token length.

Usually you can get it to continue by just typing a single space and then enter. Or finished the word if it was cut mid-way. If it was writing code, well, rip. You may be able to ask it to continue and re-wrap the code?

1 Like

Well, as people above say, you can try asking it to continue code, and I´ve tried to ask to continue from where it stopped with different wordings, but almost sure it will not continue the same code correctly. I also tried to ask the code in box shunks with maximum 50 lines (it appears to always fail at around 70 lines for me). He does it fine, but the next shunk also does not fit correctly to the first one. Even if I ask for it to make shunks and stop it also starts failing again. This is non-sense. Developers were able to make the best IA chat ever but they do not fix a chat length problem? It seems obvious it is a marketing strategy by forcing a limitation to make people pay for the complete stable version.

1 Like

It wasn’t a marketing choice to limit the token length.

If you’d like to understand it more you can read here:

Regardless, the newer GPT-4 has a 8k and 32k token length option if you need it.
Of course you need to pay more for more resources…

Would you complain that a large ice cream is more expensive than a medium?

2 Likes

No, its fair enough. Thanks for clarifying and sharing the technology behind that. So, what´s the token length on GPT-3 free version?

1 Like

I will copy the last sentence where he stopped and then ask why did you stop? (then he continues)

2 Likes

I’m honestly not even sure what ChatGPT’s token length is or how they manage the conversation. Sorry. The model itself is pretty much 4000 though

So, if you want to get the full code you must pay for it?

Can someone confirm that code won’t be cut off if you pay? I don’t want to pay just to have the same problem.

i’m a plus suscriber and i still have this problem, but it seems to be partially solved with gpt4. You just say “continu” and seems to continue correctly the code. But it really doesn’t work with gpt3.5. So with the limit of 25 messages per 3 hours for gpt4, it is not ok for programmers :frowning:

3 Likes

Same here even with the plus suscription… it really is a problem to be solved :unamused:

2 Likes