ChatGPT continues to spontaneously switch to Welsh language

When using voice ChatGPT continues to switch to respond Welsh seemingly randomly despite having English set as my language and custom instructions that specify only to respond in English.

2 Likes

Mine is doing exactly the same. Were you able to find a resolution for this?

1 Like

Not only does it switch to Welsh, if you look at the transcript it translates what was said to it in English into Welsh before it responds in kind. The translation is an accurate representation in Welsh of what I said in English so it obviously heard and understood what I said before it translated it! This effectively prevents me using the speech recognition system so I would be interested if anyone finds a fix. I have reinstalled the app and checked all my settings. My location set to Australia in all settings that contain that info, my language is set to American English (default for Australia). My accent is from the south of England (not very Welsh). I can trace a family ancestry back to Wales on my Dads side of the family and we went there on a couple of family holidays in the 1990s but that is about as close as the link gets!

1 Like

Here’s a recent news update on the topic.
The issue is maybe bigger than what I expected (soft paywall with free account):

https://www.ft.com/content/8ebc9193-7578-40bc-b44a-282df01ae9a3

On the upside: here is a recent news item regarding ChatGPT speaking Welsh on purpose:

I have the same issue. It randomly transcribes in Welsh and responds accordingly.

My ChatGpt4o. Is exactly the same. I am paying a lot for this and it is very frustrating. I have tried telling ChatGpt4o about this and have been told to log it. After I correct it improves for that session but by the next session it randomly returns. Has it been logged as a known issue? I am in England not in Wales.

In the ChatGPT voice settings you can pick the default language, if you set this to your desired language it will prevent the slipping in to Welsh issue.