Censoring policies for Biology in the name of the 'Trusted Access'

In August, I was facing an important deadline and felt reassured knowing that Codex could work alongside me through the night on a research related task. Unfortunately, that confidence did not last.

Without warning, Codex stopped and displayed:

This content cannot be displayed.
We take special care with requests involving biological research and applications that could pose security risks. Eligible researchers can apply for Trusted Access.

I then asked it to simply show whatever portion of the response was allowed. I received exactly the same warning.

What makes this particularly frustrating is that I reported essentially the same problem about a year ago, when legitimate scientific protocols were being blocked because they contained supposedly “actionable steps”:

One year later, I am encountering the same issue.

I have been an OpenAI subscriber for roughly three years and have also spent considerable time helping other users and researchers in this community. I use these tools for bioinformatics, genomics, sequencing workflows, teaching, scientific writing, and laboratory planning. These are ordinary parts of academic biomedical research.

I fully understand the need for safeguards around genuinely dangerous biological applications. What I do not understand is a system that appears unable to reliably distinguish legitimate academic research from requests that represent an actual biosafety or biosecurity risk.

The suggestion that researchers should seek “Trusted Access” also raises another concern. Access to useful scientific capabilities should not effectively become restricted to researchers affiliated with selected institutions or organizations while ordinary academics, particularly researchers working in universities and laboratories outside major research centers, receive blanket refusals.

This becomes particularly problematic for scientists in Brazil and other countries where access to computational infrastructure, specialized software, laboratory reagents, and institutional resources is already unequal.

Tools such as Codex and Rosalind could substantially reduce those barriers. Instead, excessively broad biological restrictions risk creating another one.

After encountering the same problem repeatedly over more than a year, I am seriously considering cancelling my subscription; because a research assistant that unpredictably refuses routine biology tasks becomes difficult to rely on when deadlines, experiments, teaching, and scientific projects depend on it.

I hope OpenAI revisits how these biological safeguards are implemented, particularly the distinction between legitimate scientific research and genuinely hazardous requests.

Pardon my injecting an IMHO. I believe that your issue is a frustrating problem. You may run into similar problems with other AI services. I monitor the news about AI every week, and there are too many articles and posts stoking the fires of distrust and resentment.—not just against Data Centers, but AI itself. The resultant increasingly negative attitude creates greater pressure for more guardrails on AI capabilities. I doubt these limitations are specific to Open AI. I believe this is a growing public perception problem. I’m hoping that once the mid-term elections are over, things will settle down and more people will begin to think positively about data centers and AI.

I am an virologist in Taiwan. I am using my personal account to conduct research on virological topics. The OpenAI poses the same warning and refuses to generate the answers for me. However, my university does not have the so called institutional account for setting up the trusted access for biology. I am really frustrating. The foolish bot of AI help center cannot help me and goes into the circular argument about setting up the workspace and applying for trusted access. I think the monitoring mechanism of OpenAI is overly strict. There are no real persons at their help center to help you. Additionally, Open AI does not understand that the researchers in other countries do need to pay by themselves (to purchase personal account)to do research, as the university does not have budget to purchase the OpenAI account. The policy puts me under stress, and forces me to switch to other AI services. The openai is cutting the lifeline for researchers who do personally pay for their service.

They should have done much better. For example, they can ask for materials (e.g. websites, ID issued by institution, email etc) that proves the identity of researchers. If the openai is really smart enough, it can identify the real research scientists. As a matter of fact, it isn’t. How deplorable it is. Conclusion: OpenAI sucks in heliping the researchers.

I can only say that the biological safeguards are dumbest bot that only screen for certains words that the bot feels dangerous. It does not really undertand the true meaning of questions. I set the question “state whether enterovirus or virus-infected cells exhibit changes in intracellular pH during the entire replication cycle”. The foolish bot blocks the content, as it see the words “virus” and “replication”. what I am asking is the change in intracellular pH (i.e. intracellular acidity)in the virus-infected celles during the viral life cycle. This is a real scientific question. How come the open AI biological safeguard bot are dumb in this way. My only suggestion is that it is better to dismantle your AI system as it is most moronic AI in the world. It is not the AGI. It is a joke.

I am doing diabetes research and Astra “gives it a little extra thought” for EVERY conversation turn and occasionally censors completely benign requests. Will go back to Claude once I lose patience with the slow, time-wasting secondary classifier.

Clearly OpenAI does not care about researchers in small labs in universities/institutions that cannot get Enterprise access because of various (administrative, funding-related, etc.) reasons (who pays to research with a personal account, which is actually the most abundant case in the life sciences community). Biology is being monopolized.

Hello,
Is there any way to bypass or stop these messages for coming. I am writing my manuscript and just want to GPT to help arrange and furnish it better. everything is already written, but i cant even ask the chat to just review and prrof read it for spellings. What is the point of these models If I can not ask it to do some trivial work in the background, which would allow me to do other relevant tasks. I tried registering as well, but it is of no help, as I am an individual researchers .

I am a PhD student in US, I am using my personal OpenAI account, which is sponsored by the department. My expertise is in immunology, and I have been conducting research in this field for five years at this point. My lab uses everything from Claude, Gemini and ChatGPT to task-specific AI, such as Cursor. For some ppl it is the buisness/team subscription, for others individual - as most of people find using two or more AI tools for different workflows and tasks to be better.

I myself consider that when it comes to GPT Pro, the level of understanding and ability to follow instructions is much better than other AIs. I am a Pro x20 user, who been with OpenAI since the first boom at GPT 3.5, but oh man. The work - I am simply limited for half of my work. And there is no way around it.

I do understand the safety that is needed behind the biology related studies, given the potential of the new discoveries. Especially in the field of pathogens and gene regulation. However, I do not understand why I cannot apply for the Trusted access as an individual. We have the background checks, we have ID (which I have already provided), and so on… We have a lot of tools to separate individuals that should have elevated access and from general public. The public who might not be aware of the consequences of either spreading sensative information, or even worse spreading incorrect information due to lack of expertise on the specific topic. I propose to OpenAI to consider the following.
Yearly verification process which would confirm if person is eligible for the Trusted access or not. The process would include:

  1. Background check (US citizines quite easy, sorry collegues from abroad)
  2. Proof of person being in biology related field (transcripts, grant application IDs, other documentation that indicates person is in the field)
  3. Automatic checks for published manuscripts person participated in to confirm the field relevance.
  4. Questionnaire

Again does not have to be everything, and does not have to be comprehensive. Some sort of proof. Please OpenAI - let us cook!