Bug: Fixed: New IP ranges causing unexpected authentication/action issues in GPTs

Resubmitting the same message in text-mode, in the same chat thread, works as expected (completing the action API request). It also works when the message input was via voice-mode (using the edit feature to resubmit the message).

But, in voice mode:

1. I’m always prompted to sign in (even though the I am authenticated, as evident by the GPT action completing as expected in text-mode).
  2. The sign-in dialog (the one the appears in voice-mode with a button to the GPT sign-in screen) persists even after signing in, and
  3. the action API request is never made to the server.
  • I tried disconnecting the authentication in the “Connections settings” for the GPT.
  • I tried signing out and re-logging into the ChatGPT android app.
  • I tried “Clear storage” and “Clear cache” in the android app settings

I’m reporting this as a bug because I’m out of ideas for how to resolve it client-side.

Thanks for your help :palm_tree:

2 Likes

If you are on an older device up to Android 6, you can install new ISRG Root X1 and ISRG Root X2 root trust certificates for LetsEncrypt and their upstream security provider, through the user-installed certificates. You will need to root the device (if you can) to update affected Android 7 under 7.1.1. and to place X2 on devices under 14.

The app on Android expects and makes unexpected use of Chrome browser and OS resources. You can also clear all the cache and data of Google apps and update all of the Google Play and preinstalled Google apps as a foundation to supporting what the ChatGPT app does badly. Then go through apps and see you didn’t disable some, on the basis of Chrome being snooping adware connected to a rootkit.

OpenAI uses LetsEncrypt and they only issue short-term certs.

More background: Shortening the Let's Encrypt Chain of Trust - Let's Encrypt

On Monday, September 30th, 2024, the cross-signed certificate will expire. This should be a non-event for most people, as any client breakages should have occurred over the preceding six months.

(as an example of “does goodly”, the Firefox Mobile app certainly doesn’t rely on device certificates or Chrome in order to operate).

2 Likes

I’m running Android 14

Also, the issue seems to be impacting text-mode this morning :palm_tree:

Edit: And now it’s doing this for like 5 minutes on Mac in Chrome:
output

1 Like

Update: I think the issue is an unexpected IP range (maybe OpenAI added more CIDR blocks recently?) :palm_tree:

Edit: in case it helps anyone, these seem to be the new ranges:

Screenshot 2024-10-15 at 10.21.08 AM

source: https://platform.openai.com/docs/actions/production

2 Likes

Also finding that additional IP addresses are being used outside the ones listed at https://platform.openai.com/docs/actions/production

1 Like

Thanks. We passed it on to get the docs changed, etc.

Appreciate you coming back to let us all know.

1 Like

Here the guide step by step for those who try to use ChatGPT on an Android 6, they need to install the new certificates to solve the “Something went wrong. Please ensure your device’s date and time are set correctly."

https://knowledgebase.geolantis.com/HOW%20TO/how-to-install-root-certificate-on-android-6-0-device/