Billing Currency and ability to change

Hi, the OpenAI site doesn’t display what currency its billing in. Figured out in the end it is USD, but please don’t assume all your customers are from the US.

Id also like the option for it to bill in other currencies, so we can avoid the expensive credit card foreign exchange fees, and bad exchange rate.

Changed category to Feedback in hopes someone from OpenAI sees your message. You might try reaching out to help.support.com to let them know about your problem or feedback.

1 Like

OpenAI is a relatively small, US company which needs to pay all of its bills in USD. It’s unlikely they will be changing their billing practices any time soon.

I mean that’s fine, but they do use Stripe, which supports all that.

If they don’t know what people want, they definitely wont do it.

And adding a ‘All billing is in USD’ would seem logical.

Sure, but it is kind of implicit, no?

Regardless, if OpenAI were to accept foreign currency then OpenAI would be responsible for any exchange fees associated with converting to USD along with any gains or losses which occur due to fluctuating exchange rates between billing you for the service and converting the funds to USD, right?

So, to cover that, they’d likely need to charge a premium over the posted API rates for non-US customers which would be a huge burden and people would complain about that too.

1 Like

No its no implicit. Lots of countries use Dollars. If a site asks for my country, and then says its billing in Dollars, and my countries currency is in Dollars what am I to assume? Some cloud services do bill in local currency, some do USD, some tell you , some don’t.

I’m not sure why you feel the need to argue, and to be honest be a bit patronizing. Absolutely no need for it.

7. Payment; Taxes

7.1 Fees and Billing. You agree to pay all fees charged to your account (“Fees”) according to the prices and terms on the Pricing Page, or as otherwise stated in an Order Form. Price changes on the Pricing Page will be effective immediately for all price decreases or changes made for legal reasons. All other price changes will be effective 14 days after they are posted. We have the right to correct pricing errors or mistakes even after issuing an invoice or receiving payment. You authorize us and our third-party payment processor(s) to charge the payment method provided on your account on an agreed-upon periodic basis, but we may reasonably change the date on which the charge is posted. Fees are payable in U.S. dollars and are due upon invoice issuance, unless otherwise agreed in an Order Form. Payments are nonrefundable except as provided in this Agreement.

Emphasis added, source: OpenAI Business Terms - §7.1 Payment; Taxes

The abysmal quality of your response enticed me to make an account for this board.

Are you an OpenAI representative?

Customer feedback is important and I share OP’s opinion that a multi-billion dollar company should, in fact, accept different currencies and not burden the customer with bad exchange rates.