API Error: model gpt-4 not supported

Hi ! I have an issue using GPT-4 model from my API, I have “model gpt-4 not supported” error. I have the subscription for GPT-4, I monthly pay for usage of gpt.

I’ve checked the API secret key I use and it’s the good one. I have no idea why i can’t use it.

I’ve found a topic from March 14th saying it’s still on Beta and we must whitelist. Is it still like that ?

On the documentation they say " GPT-4 is currently accessible to those who have made at least one successful payment through our developer platform." and I have more than 1 successful payment

Please tell me if I’m missing something, thank you all

Just to confirm once, is the monthly subscription you mention here for Chat GPT or the GPT API in general and if it’s the later, could you share the line from your code where you are calling the model in API call ?

I’m not in charge of billing in my team, I’ll ask for this information. I don’t know if this is a hint to know what offer we have, we can use GPT-4 model from the playground

If you can use GPT-4 from the playground, then it’s most likely that your function call in the code is a bit wrong. Could you share the code you are using for the API call ? That would make it much easier.

In this code, when model is “gpt-3.5-turbo” or “gpt-3.5-turbo-16k” it works, when i put “gpt-4”, i get the error " model gpt-4 not supported"

val requestBody = OpenAIChatCompletionRequest(
            model,
            messages,
        )
        val res = api.post("$API_ENDPOINT/chat/completions") {
            contentType(ContentType.Application.Json)
            setBody(requestBody)
        }

The key word is DEVELOPER PLATFORM.

A ChatGPT subscription does not affect your API models.

Where’s API GPT-4? I subscribe for $20!

ChatGPT Plus does not offer any API credits or entitlements. API is a separate professional product for AI application development. Although you may have a gpt-4 powered chatbot in ChatGPT (and plus gives you plugins and more), ChatGPT Plus doesn’t unlock any API services or pay for any API bills.

API Overview

API allows programmers to develop applications for end users, and they are charged by the actual language data used by the service - the tokens sent and received by queries to the AI models. It is not free nor included with ChatGPT.

This is the access portal to an API account and its payment systems.

Where’s API GPT-4? I have a free API trial

You may have an API free trial credit if you created your OpenAI account recently, (three-month expiration after account creation). However, access to use gpt-4 services along with higher rate limits is only enabled after purchasing additional account credits, or having been billed monthly for actual non-free use.

A: Start a payment plan. Purchase credits to get gpt-4.

I’ve put in a credit card a while ago…

Your older API account with monthly billing can get gpt-4 access. Just having put in a card doesn’t qualify it though.

A monthly post-pay plan can be made eligible for gpt-4 access by actually incurring billing to the card from use (OpenAI currently doesn’t bill for small balances, like under a dollar). After you get a bill charged to your credit card (processed in first half of the following month), you should get gpt-4 access.

A: Use services, get billed

I put in a card a while ago, can I get it faster?

One can “cancel payment plan”, removing all cards, and then you’ll likely be only offered the ability to buy pre-paid credits, of $5-$100. A pre-pay, purchasing credits, instantly gets gpt-4. Once doing so, there is no going back to a monthly plan; you must always prepay and have a credit balance to use services. A second account for this is recommended if you need the original account’s features.

Do I already have API GPT-4?

Look in the list of models in your API account’s rate limits. It will be there.
Look in the API playground. Select mode “chat”. It will be there.