A hardcore riddle for o1 that it gets right on the second try

In the spirit of testing the incredible o1 out thoroughly, I provide here an ancient and terrible riddle from the Usborne Book of Superpuzzles! This is just one page of the whole text and I’m not reproducing it comprehensively, so I think they wouldn’t mind (and it was in print in the 80’s…)

**The Mummers' Advice**

This tapestry shows the five Mummers of Marcato, the most confusing band of performers in all Madrigola. One of the Mummers speaks the truth all the time. One tells nothing but lies. The other three tell a mixture of truth and lies.

- **The Drummer**: "When asked how to find the statue, I say: You must take the road to the town of Tabor."

- **The Bear**: "You say no such thing."

- **The Piper**: "You must take the road to the city of Mandolin."

- **The Jester**: "Indeed, you must take the road to Mandolin."

- **The Drummer**: "At the crossroads, you must go to Castle Gargoylia."

- **The Jester**: "You must go to the Castle of Arc."

- **The Bear**: "You must not go to Castle Gargoylia."

- **The Juggler**: "You must go to Castle Gargoylia."

- **The Piper**: "You must head either to Tabor or to Mandolin."

- **The Drummer**: "I always tell a mixture of truth and lies."

- **The Juggler**: "That is not true."

- **The Jester**: "If the bear is always truthful, the juggler tells nothing but lies."

- **The Bear**: "That is false."

- **The Drummer**: "At the castle, you must find the sage."

- **The Piper**: "The drummer always tells the truth."

- **The Jester**: "The piper tells nothing but lies."

- **The Juggler**: "You must find the pageboy."

- **The Bear**: "You must find the cook."

---

**Carilla di Galliard sets off across the land of Madrigola in search of the statue of the Cantador. At a fork in the road, she meets a band of entertainers called the Mummers of Marcato who offer her advice. This tapestry shows their confusing suggestions. Carilla must find out which of their statements are truthful and so discover what to do next.**

---

**What should Carilla do?**

SHE MUST RESOLVE A SELCTION FROM THE FOLLOWING SETS:

[TABOR OR MANDOLIN] - pick one

[CASTLE GARGOYLIA OR CASTLE OF ARC] - pick one

[COOK, PAGEBOY OR SAGE] - pick one

Now, the correct answer is:
TABOR, CASTLE OF ARC, COOK

BUT, it will be as pissed off with that as I was as an eight year old when I couldn’t solve this :wink:

If you want to nudge it, tell it to pay VERY EXACT ATTENTION to what the drummer ACTUALLY SAYS…

Enjoy :slight_smile: It’s a remarkable example of the model and no other model on the market at the moment gets even close to the answer.