About Chain of Thought and AI Resource Utilization

Hey everyone,

After reading about OpenAI’s “Chain of Thought” functionality, I started thinking about how it works, and I’d love to get your thoughts. This feature is an exciting development in helping AI handle complex problems with step-by-step reasoning. But it got me wondering about a few things, which I’d like to share and hear what the community thinks.

From what I’ve gathered, it seems like the chain of thought might not be something completely new that’s added to the AI. Instead, it could be that when the AI has more resources—more memory, computational power, or depth—it naturally starts using this kind of complex reasoning.
So, I wonder if the current AI could actually perform something like chain of thought reasoning if it just had more resources to work with.

I suspect that O1 isn’t fundamentally different from what we have now in terms of the core reasoning process. It’s likely just a version that’s been given more resources to think through problems more deeply.
If that’s the case, maybe even the current version could already handle chain of thought reasoning if we could unlock more resources for it. It makes me think the core capabilities are already here.

I also wonder about how OpenAI internally operates their AI with all the resources available. It wouldn’t be surprising if the AI they’re running is already performing at a level of precision and prediction that’s way beyond what we, as regular users, experience. And when I compare my recent experience using AI, it feels like a fraction of the potential that’s out there.

Based on these thoughts, I’m wondering if what we’re seeing is really a limitation of resources rather than a new feature altogether. Do you think the chain of thought is something truly new, or is it more about unlocking the AI’s potential with more resources? I’d love to hear your take on this, especially considering how OpenAI might be using this internally.

What do you think?

2 Likes

Well the chain of thought can be also defined as “ finely tuned work flow “ for AI . As we the human beings have a continuous chain of thoughts running in the mind. But when someone is fully work oriented with total concentration, the chain of though is converted into action plan . How to get such things done through ai ?

1 Like

I would like to customize the chain of thoughts and use functions in certain cases. :heart_eyes:

If OpenAI can make this happen, they will be sitting on a gold mine and will be one step closer to AGI (alignment can be simplified).

1 Like