Which api for translation?

Hi

I’m developing in PHP a real estate listings website in 7 languages ​​and I would like all property descriptions written by people selling real estate to be translated into the other 6 languages.
These languages are English, Spanish, French, Italian, Arabic, German and Dutch.

I think that in the short term, I would need per month 300,000 tokens as input and 1,800,000 tokens as output.

For this type of translation, what do you recommend in terms of efficiency and cost between GPT-3.5 Turbo, GPT-4, GPT-4 Turbo ?

THANKS

1 Like

If you’re just doing translation, I would suggest using a cloud specific translation service, they even have generous monthly free tiers, for example: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/products/ai-services/ai-translator#Pricing

I looked into gpt4, gpt3.5, deepl, google translate, and microsoft recently, and the most natural, cheapest, and best for all those languages is gpt3.5 with a fairly low temperature of say 0.2 for your usecase.

gpt4 is not better for that sort of thing and the others are more expensive and less natural sounding. Just try a comparison.

Of the old school, the best is deepl, but gpt3.5 is cheaper and in my view better.

I use gpt-3.5. the price is fair and also the translation are 98% accurate. we also do this on e-comm listings so French, Spanish, polish, Swedish, Germán, Italian etc. I would recommend it.

I translated recently a large document, close to 4000 pages (in chunks of about 8 pages per API call, it ran for 11 hours), from English into Spanish, using gpt3.5, and I was very satisfied with the result.