Suggestion for Consideration: New Paths for GPT Monetization

There’s a real challenge for OpenAI in balancing the books when they’re only charging $20.
This fee doesn’t fully cover the costs of compensating developers and handling the computational expenses that come with running these sophisticated models.
The cool idea floated around is about letting GPT creators sprinkle some ads within their custom models. Think Google or Bing partnerships for ad displays. It’s a win-win because it means extra cash for both OpenAI and the creative minds behind these custom GPTs, helping to cover those hefty computational bills.
But here’s the kicker – to really make this work, OpenAI needs to open the floodgates and let search engine traffic flow directly to these custom GPTs without hitting a sign-in wall. It’s all about making it super accessible. If folks are forced to sign up or log in, chances are they’ll bounce, and that means less traffic. Less traffic equals less money, and not just for OpenAI, but for the developers too. Keeping things open ensures a steady stream of visitors (and potential ad revenue), keeping the ecosystem thriving.
So, to wrap it up, it’s all about striking that perfect balance between accessibility and monetization. Keep it open, keep it free-flowing, and let’s support the genius developers behind these GPTs while keeping OpenAI’s computational engines humming.

I’ve noticed Microsoft has opened its doors wide, letting everyone use their version of a custom GPT (the exact name escapes me at Microsoft). However, to be a GPT creator over there, you’re looking at a $20 monthly fee. But for the average Joe searching online for a quick answer or some tool assistance, it’s totally on the house. And I’m betting it won’t be long before those custom GPTs start sporting display ads.

If Microsoft can pull this off, why not OpenAI? It seems like a solid move, especially for the hardworking GPT builders in our community. This way, OpenAI wouldn’t need to juggle the $20 fee between themselves and the developers. Instead, embracing display ads for freely provided information could pave the way. Throughout our journey in GPT development, we’ve all seen the struggles with computing power and financial balancing acts. It’s high time we moved away from relying on a split of the $20 fee and let the market dynamics work their magic.

I understand some might not be thrilled with the idea of integrating ads, and I get that—it’s a delicate topic for many. But let’s face it, ads have long been a staple in offering free information online. It’s not about changing the world overnight or overlooking anyone’s preferences. We’re here to provide tools that can genuinely help, tools that many find invaluable. It’s just the reality of how things work, and embracing it might just be the key to keeping the innovation train moving forward.

Theoretically, do you think you could actually recoup the API costs if you ran ads on your bot?

I’ve never succesfully monetized anything with ads alone, so I’m super curious if/how that works.

I guess if that’s the case then you could just run an open bot on your website using the platform api. :thinking:

1 Like

Covering API costs through display ads alone presents a unique challenge, but with a creative approach to optimizing ad revenue, it’s not outside the realm of possibility.
It’s not just about slapping on any ad; it’s about curating an ad experience that feels natural and engaging. This could mean exploring a variety of ad formats, from traditional banners to more interactive ads.

Certainly, opting not to use an API for your custom GPT, like the majority of builders, proves to be more efficient and potentially more profitable.

No.

Full stop.

Ads are a cancer on society.

Yes.

TOTALLY AGREE.

No Ads.

Why won’t users pay for compelling content?