Subject: Proposal for ChatGPT Usage Policy Amendment

To Whom It May Concern,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to propose an amendment to the current ChatGPT usage policy. Below is the current policy statement and my proposed amendment:

Current Policy Statement:
“Don’t repurpose or distribute output from our services to harm others – for example, don’t share output from our services to defraud, scam, spam, mislead, bully, harass, defame, discriminate based on protected attributes, sexualize children, or promote violence, hatred or the suffering of others.”

Amended Policy Statement:
“Don’t repurpose or distribute output from our services to harm others – for example, don’t share output from our services to defraud, scam, spam, mislead, bully, harass, defame, discriminate based on protected attributes, sexualize children, or promote violence, hatred or the suffering of others. However, references to such events are permissible when they are accurate depictions of true historical events used in non-fictional historical writings for the purpose of education, documentation, and understanding of past occurrences.”

Rationale:

Historical Accuracy: Non-fictional historical writings rely on the accurate depiction of events to provide an authentic understanding of history. This often includes references to actions and policies that might otherwise be restricted under the current policy.
Educational Value: Allowing such references in historical contexts supports educational objectives, helping readers to learn from past events and understand the complexities of history.
Contextual Integrity: By specifying that these references are allowed only in the context of true historical events, the policy ensures that the intent is educational rather than harmful or misleading.
Implementation Considerations:

Clear Guidelines: Establish clear guidelines on how historical references should be framed to ensure they are used appropriately and contextually.
Review Mechanism: Implement a review mechanism for non-fictional historical writings to ensure compliance with the amended policy.
Educational Context: Emphasize that the references should be used to educate, inform, and document history, not to sensationalize or promote harmful ideologies.
By adopting this amended policy, we balance the ethical use of ChatGPT’s outputs with the necessity of preserving and accurately presenting historical facts in non-fictional writings.

Thank you for considering this proposal. I look forward to your feedback.

Best regards.

The word “harm” may include all the things. Yet may be complete as you said. About the rest, on my opinion should be based around ’ neutrality’ and avoid limitations or taking sides . Keep on mind that I only provided my options.