threadId,
      {
        assistant_id: process.env["OPENAI_ASSISTANT_ID"],
        stream: true,
      },
    );
    for await (const event of stream) {
    }

After I get event.event === "thread.run.requires_action" and call submitToolOutputs the client receives [END] and stream no longer emits new events, even though the run is still in_progress (if I immediately call openai.beta.threads.runs.retrieve I can see it). I’m not sure how to continue streaming the output.

I was wondering the same and looked here first. Then I went to the source code.

There is a submitToolOutputsStream method!

I’m using it like this when I get to a required actions state, after handling tool outputs:

const toolRun = openai.beta.threads.runs.submitToolOutputsStream(
  thread_id,
  run_id, {
    tool_outputs,
    stream: true,
  },
  streamOptions);

for await (const event of toolRun) {
  await handleEvent(event);
}
1 Like

Glad it’s not just me; i’ve noticed this too.

I think it’s a bug, because according to the docs for the ‘Create run’ method, ‘stream’ parameter:

returns a stream of events that happen during the Run as server-sent events, terminating when the Run enters a terminal state

https://platform.openai.com/docs/api-reference/runs/createRun#runs-createrun-stream

Since the run isn’t in terminal state, the stream should continue.

1 Like

I’m also dealing with this in implementation. So far, I’m finishing the stream with a function that polls the /threads/{thread_id}/runs endpoint until the status is not “queued” or “in_progress”.

I am just seeing in the docs that there’s a stream paramter on the submitToolOutputs endpoint, so I assume we’re supposed to continue our other original stream from there. I’ll try to report back with whether or not that works.