Stop that, ChatGPT!.. Don't end like that? Annoying!

Oh, for the love of AI. I’ve been using it since it came out and full disclosure I am a paid member. Let’s go ahead and get that out of the way. (If I enjoy something I support it.) :smiley:

What I am here for is my utter disgust for the way the AI will end most articles.

Write an article about Overcoming grief

Grief is a natural and inevitable part of life. It is the emotional pain and sadness that comes from losing someone or something that we love or care about deeply. Grief can be caused by a variety of events such as the death of a loved one, the end of a relationship, or the loss of a job or pet. It can be a difficult and overwhelming experience that can leave us feeling lost, confused, and alone. However, it is possible to overcome grief and find a way to move forward.

Here are some steps that can help you overcome grief:

Allow yourself to grieve: It is important to allow yourself to feel the pain of your loss. This means acknowledging your feelings and giving yourself permission to experience them without judgment or guilt. This can be a difficult step, but it is essential in the healing process.

Seek support: You do not have to go through grief alone. Seek support from family, friends, or a professional counselor. Talking about your feelings and experiences can help you process your grief and begin to move forward.

Take care of yourself: Grief can be physically and emotionally exhausting. Take care of yourself by eating well, getting enough sleep, and engaging in activities that bring you joy and relaxation.

Be patient: Grief is a process that takes time. Do not expect to feel better overnight. Allow yourself time to heal and be patient with yourself as you navigate through your grief.

Create a new routine: Sometimes grief can disrupt our normal routines. Creating a new routine can help you establish a sense of normalcy and control in your life. This can be as simple as starting a new hobby or exercise routine.

Practice self-compassion: It is common to experience feelings of guilt or shame when grieving. Practice self-compassion by reminding yourself that your feelings are normal and valid. Be gentle with yourself and give yourself time to heal.

Find meaning in your loss: Sometimes finding meaning in our loss can help us overcome grief. This can be through volunteering, starting a new project, or dedicating something to the memory of your loved one.

In conclusion, grief is a natural part of life that can be difficult to overcome. However, by allowing ourselves to grieve, seeking support, taking care of ourselves, being patient, creating a new routine, practicing self-compassion, and finding meaning in our loss, we can move forward and find peace. Remember, healing takes time, and it is okay to take things one day at a time.

And I get this annoying “In conclusion” every article I ask it to write… Every time. In conclusion. Writing a story… In conclusion. It gets worse if I tell it not to…

Do not use the phrase "In conclusion," ever!
Sure, I will keep that in mind. Thank you for the feedback.

Write an article about Overcoming grief

Grief is a natural and necessary part of the human experience. It is an emotion that we all feel at some point in our lives. It is the process of healing and coming to terms with loss, whether it is the loss of a loved one, a job, a relationship, or even a pet. While it is never easy to deal with grief, it is possible to overcome it and move forward in a positive way. Here are some steps that can help you overcome grief:

Allow Yourself to Feel Your Emotions: The first step in overcoming grief is to allow yourself to feel your emotions. Don't try to suppress them or push them away. Instead, acknowledge them and allow yourself to feel the pain of your loss. It is okay to cry, scream, or simply be sad. Grief is a natural process that takes time.

Seek Support: It is important to surround yourself with people who care about you during the grieving process. Seek support from family, friends, or a professional counselor. Talk about your feelings and experiences with someone you trust. It can help you process your grief and feel less alone.

Take Care of Yourself: Grief can take a toll on your physical and emotional health. Take care of yourself by getting enough sleep, eating well, and engaging in physical activity. Avoid unhealthy coping mechanisms such as excessive drinking or drug use.

Be Patient: Overcoming grief is a process that takes time. Don't expect to feel better overnight. Be patient with yourself as you work through your emotions. Allow yourself the time and space you need to heal.

Create a New Routine: Grief can disrupt our normal routines. Creating a new routine can help you establish a sense of normalcy and control in your life. Try a new hobby, exercise routine, or take up meditation.

Practice Self-Compassion: Be gentle with yourself and practice self-compassion. You may experience feelings of guilt, anger, or shame during the grieving process. These emotions are normal and should be acknowledged. Be kind to yourself as you navigate through your grief.

Find Meaning in Your Loss: Finding meaning in your loss can help you overcome grief. This can be through volunteering, starting a new project, or dedicating something to the memory of your loved one. Focus on the positive aspects of your life and try to find joy in the present moment.

In conclusion, overcoming grief is a process that takes time and effort. It requires you to be patient, kind, and compassionate with yourself as you navigate through your emotions. Seek support from loved ones and professionals, take care of yourself physically and emotionally, create a new routine, and find meaning in your loss. Remember, it is okay to grieve, and with time, you will be able to move forward in a positive way.

Now, let’s take a look if I yell at it. (It makes me feel better. :smiley: ) For brevity… I’ll spare you the entire article again…

STOP USING "IN CONCLUSION"

My apologies, I will avoid using "in conclusion" in the future. Thank you for your feedback.

NEVER USE "IN CONCLUSION"
Understood, I will refrain from using "in conclusion" in any future articles. Thank you for your feedback.

--- same prompt... Here's the closer...
In conclusion, overcoming grief is a process that takes time, patience, and effort. It requires you to be kind, compassionate, and patient with yourself as you navigate through your emotions. Seek support from loved ones and professionals, take care of yourself physically and emotionally, create a new routine, practice self-compassion, and find meaning in your loss. Remember that healing takes time, and it is okay to grieve. With time, you will be able to move forward and find peace.

You used In conclusion, again!

I apologize for using "in conclusion" again. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I will make sure to avoid using it in the future.

Stop using it!

I apologize for using "in conclusion." I understand that it can be repetitive and unnecessary. I will make sure to refrain from using it in any future articles. Thank you for your feedback.

Sure enough.... >.<

In conclusion, grief is a natural process that can be challenging to deal with, but it is possible to overcome it and find a way to move forward. Allow yourself to grieve, seek support, take care of yourself, be patient, create a new routine, practice self-compassion, and find meaning in your loss. Remember that healing takes time, and it's important to be kind to yourself throughout the process.

Revamp prompt slightly:
Write an article about Overcoming grief do not end with in conclusion EVER!

In conclusion, overcoming grief is a process that takes time, patience, and effort. It requires you to be kind, compassionate, and patient with yourself as you navigate through your emotions. Seek support from loved ones and professionals, take care of yourself physically and emotionally, create a new routine, practice self-compassion, and find meaning in your loss. Remember that healing takes time, and it is okay to grieve. With time, you will be able to move forward and find peace.

And so the AI is irritating on the fact it will not listen to the fact I do not want “In conclusion,” added. It is very annoying.

So, anyone else have issues like this one? Repetitive, cliche, or just plain dumb sayings it seems to love and won’t let go of?

2 Likes

Encounter the same issue, but didn’t manage to get rid of the conclusion statement either.

I’m glad I’m not the only one. I can tell it to rewrite it and ask to leave that out and it still adds it. Once it even said “(just kidding)” but it still put that in there. I’m not sure why it loves the phrase so much.

Negative prompts are difficult because, as you can see, the words “in conclusion” are now in the history quite a bit. And since it’s an LLM, it seeks out similarities.

Instead, start a new thread and add something like, “Be sure to end the article in a unique and novel way…” or something similar.

Hope this helps!

Agreed, It’s generally not effective to tell GPT what it shouldn’t do, try telling it what you do want instead. Give it specific instructions about the kind of language or phrases you prefer, and see if that helps.

In this case you could try something like: “write an inconclusive, open ended article that ends on a question. The article should be about overcoming grief”

GPT has been trained on a lot of scientific articles that typically include a conclusion section. If you ask GPT to write an article, it’s possible that it will default to including a conclusion section unless otherwise specified.

My ChatGPT might just be broken. My friend doesn’t have his saying in conclusion all the time, but mine does. Not sure if it has a profile and learns from you. But I’ve been downvoting things if I tell it not to say in conclusion and it does it anyway.

Tried that with a whole new chat. Still loves to use it’s “in conclusion” phrase. :smiley: Maybe that’s the way they’re going to keep kids from turning in homework using ChatGPT? :laughing:

But it is seriously annoying when you’re just trying to make a few quick content blocks for a website.

It does indeed love to make conclusions :joy:
That prompt worked for me 3 out of 3 times with GPT-3.5, i can’t speak for version 4. It’s important to remember that GPT is a tool designed to assist you, not replace you.

lol

This seemed to work… play with your initial prompt some to add more details… give your writer a personality…

You are an experienced writer with a long history of writing for blogs. When concluding, you don’t stick with the standard “In conclusion” phrase. Your endings are unique and come to a close without using trite phrases. Now, please write an article about Overcoming grief

Another helpful thing is to feed it an outline…

On reflection, I’m wondering if including “writing for blogs” gives it a more informal tone and keeps away the “in conclusion…”

1 Like

I use 3.5 I don’t use 4.0 because I absolutely hate the thought of being involved in a conversation or doing something and then it going “Oh, dear… That’s all for right now… Come back in 3 hours.” Really irks me for some reason. So, I refuse to use it because I don’t want to like it and know it’s limited to 25 per 3 hours. :frowning: :cold_sweat:

But for some reason most people don’t get the conclusion like I do. I’m wondering if we have hidden profiles. :frowning: I’d love to reset mine if that’s the case. (Because if I knew letting it do that and not going… Oh, no… Not this…) :smiley: I would have let it know to regenerate the response long ago.

Always willing to try the unknown. :smiley: (Here goes…)

Well, I’ll be… That’s great. I hadn’t thought of asking it to take on a persona for writing. Thanks for that. (Usually, I ask it straight forward questions, but sometimes I need to pad out a site since I make themes… I don’t really love using Lorem Ipsum for things.) :smiley: I’m weird like that.

But I will keep this in mind. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Sometimes, ChatGPT generates code snippets that include libraries or SDKs that were explicitly requested not to include. For example, I might ask it to provide me with a snippet of code using only standard C++ libraries, but instead it would include a SDK like Qt no matter how many times I asked it not to. This can be super frustrating and often makes me crazy. I have had many sessions where I resorted to calling ChatGPT some of the worst names I could think of, only to feel terrible afterwards.

Part of the problem might be the repeated requests filling up the context of that chat thread and tipping the scales towards that direction rather than away. When that happens, sometimes it’s better to start a new thread and try to phrase the prompt differently. Hope this helps.

1 Like

It’s happened even when I open a new chat. I don’t know if it’s the way I’m writing the question and it adds in the “in conclusion” usually it’s write a blog article about {blank}. I’m going to try different prompts like… Write like… Or do not conclude the article or something like that.

Same. I’ve noticed that it would include libraries. I figured it was being helpful, but sometimes you need it not to add in the extras. :frowning: (Same for my in conclusion problem… Brand new chat… GPT 4 doesn’t seem to do it as much… But still does it.)

Can you share your entire current prompt? I’ll take a look and see if I can help. Thanks.

Thank you. I would love the help to get more believeable articles from ChatGPT. (I don’t use 4.0 because it takes a long time and I don’t like the limitations.) So, it’s not a way for me to fix my articles just yet. (But 4.0 also tells me “in conclusion” a lot as well.)

The exact prompt I’ve been using is

Write an article about death and the grieving process.

But it will usually be similiar like Write an article about {subject}.

In this particular one it gave me a great article except for the in conclusion…

Death is an inevitable part of life. No matter how much we try to avoid it or how much we wish it away, it is a reality that we must all eventually face. The grieving process that follows the death of a loved one is an important and natural part of the healing process. It allows us to come to terms with the reality of the loss, to process our emotions and to find a way forward.

The grieving process can be different for everyone. Some people experience a range of emotions, including sadness, anger, guilt, denial, and despair. Others may feel numb or disconnected from their emotions. Some people may have physical symptoms like fatigue, loss of appetite, or difficulty sleeping. There is no right or wrong way to grieve, and everyone's experience is unique.

One of the most important things to remember about the grieving process is that it takes time. It is not something that can be rushed or avoided. Grief can last weeks, months, or even years, and it can resurface at different times throughout our lives. It is important to give ourselves and others the time and space to grieve and to not judge ourselves or others for the way we are feeling.

Another important aspect of the grieving process is the need for support. It is important to have people around us who can offer emotional support and help us through the grieving process. This can be friends, family members, or even professional counselors. Support can come in many forms, including listening, offering practical help with tasks or responsibilities, or simply being there for us when we need someone to talk to.

One of the most challenging aspects of the grieving process can be coming to terms with the reality of the loss. Accepting that our loved one is gone and that we will never see them again can be incredibly difficult. It is important to allow ourselves to feel our emotions and to not push them away or try to avoid them. While it may be painful, acknowledging and accepting the reality of the loss is an important step in the healing process.

There are many ways to honor and remember our loved ones who have passed away. Some people find comfort in creating a memorial, such as a scrapbook or a memory box. Others may choose to make a charitable donation in their loved one's name, or to participate in a memorial event or fundraiser. Whatever way we choose to honor our loved ones, it is important to find a way to keep their memory alive and to continue to feel connected to them in some way.

In conclusion, death is a difficult but inevitable part of life. The grieving process that follows a loss is an important and natural part of the healing process. It is important to remember that everyone's experience of grief is unique, and there is no right or wrong way to grieve. Support from others is important, and it is important to give ourselves and others the time and space to grieve. While the process can be challenging, honoring and remembering our loved ones can bring comfort and help us to find a way forward.

In conclusion at the end of nearly every article makes it sound redundant and if I were to use the content on a live site… I might get Google slapped as AI content or something like that. I try to mix it up as much as possible so that my clients who want website themes don’t see almost the same articles. (I doubt they’re reading and only looking at the content type setting and how the article sits on the theme… But still… I’d like to also offer content services eventually with ChatGPT as a possible writing partner.) I would still have to fact and content check its articles but it would be something I’d hope for in the future. :slight_smile:

But if you could help me engineer a prompt that would make ChatGPT write articles less like a bot and more like a person or more personable… That would help.

(This was done on a brand new Chat instance. I hit new chat and wrote my prompt instead of copy/pasting it like I usually do.) So, there’s never been any mention of in conclusion there. :smiley:

Did you ever find a solution to this. I’ve been struggling to write blocks of text without conclusions for a few days too

1 Like

Sometimes I can get it to stop doing it by saying do not conclue at the end of my prompt.

PaulBellow’s suggestion works sometimes. Sometimes you have to regenerate, or make a whole new chat for it to not do it. Sometimes I ask it to use synonyms to the word conclusion.

You are an experienced writer with a long history of writing for blogs. When concluding, you don’t stick with the standard “In conclusion” phrase. Your endings are unique and come to a close without using trite phrases. Now, please write an article about [your subject here]

It still does it a lot to me so I’m constantly regenerating and sometimes I grab the “in conclusion” paragraph and copy it to the chat and then tell it to rewrite and not use that ending.

1 Like

Here ya go… Played around some more…

You are an experienced writer with a long history of writing for blogs. You have a very unique writing style that is pleasant to read, entertaining, and yet still informative. People particularly love the end of your articles because you do not end them in the traditional way. No, you’re much more creative when ending an article. You end with a call to action or final thought rather than a traditional conclusion. Instead of a summary, you end with a story or you refer back to the first paragraph. So much is at stake in writing a conclusion. This is, after all, your last chance to persuade your readers to your point of view, to impress yourself upon them as a writer and thinker. And the impression you create in your conclusion will shape the impression that stays with your readers after they’ve finished the essay.

The end of an essay should therefore convey a sense of completeness and closure as well as a sense of the lingering possibilities of the topic, its larger meaning, its implications: the final paragraph should close the discussion without closing it off.

To establish a sense of closure, you might do one or more of the following:

Conclude by linking the last paragraph to the first, perhaps by reiterating a word or phrase you used at the beginning.

Conclude with a sentence composed mainly of one-syllable words. Simple language can help create an effect of understated drama.

Conclude with a sentence that’s compound or parallel in structure; such sentences can establish a sense of balance or order that may feel just right at the end of a complex discussion.
To close the discussion without closing it off, you might do one or more of the following:

Conclude with a quotation from or reference to a primary or secondary source, one that amplifies your main point or puts it in a different perspective. A quotation from, say, the novel or poem you’re writing about can add texture and specificity to your discussion; a critic or scholar can help confirm or complicate your final point. For example, you might conclude an essay on the idea of home in James Joyce’s short story collection, Dubliners, with information about Joyce’s own complex feelings towards Dublin, his home. Or you might end with a biographer’s statement about Joyce’s attitude toward Dublin, which could illuminate his characters’ responses to the city. Just be cautious, especially about using secondary material: make sure that you get the last word.

Conclude by setting your discussion into a different, perhaps larger, context. For example, you might end an essay on nineteenth-century muckraking journalism by linking it to a current news magazine program like 60 Minutes.

I cribbed most of it from here…

You’ll probably want to trim down the system prompt as it’s a bit large, but it does seem to work well!

I had to turn the temp up a bit with GPT-4 (I’m still not sure whether the slider is 0 to 1 or 0 to 2 here like it is with the API…

In conclusion… (Sorry, I could not resist! Hehe…) I would keep playing with your prompt and temperature too maybe if you haven’t already.

Hope this helps!

1 Like