Solution to water cries due to ai data center

Dear OpenAI Team,

I am writing to share an idea that came to me while thinking about the growing water requirements of AI data centers and the increasing water shortages faced by cities.

As AI continues to grow, data centers will require large amounts of cooling. My concern is that using freshwater or groundwater for this purpose could become a serious problem in regions that are already experiencing falling groundwater levels.

I would like to suggest a principle that I believe could be important for the future:

AI data centers should avoid using drinking water or groundwater for cooling wherever possible and instead use recycled and treated wastewater.

Cities already produce enormous amounts of wastewater every day. Rather than allowing this water to become waste, cities and data-center operators could work together to build water-recycling systems that treat municipal wastewater to the required standard and supply it to data centers for cooling.

A possible system could be:

City wastewater → advanced treatment → recycled non-potable water → data-center cooling → further treatment/reuse

At the same time, data centers could contribute to rainwater harvesting, groundwater recharge, lake and wetland restoration, and other local water-conservation projects.

I believe this could create a better relationship between AI infrastructure and the communities where it operates. Instead of data centers competing with people for freshwater, they could become major customers for recycled water and potentially help cities develop better water-recycling infrastructure.

I also understand that implementing such a system would involve engineering, environmental, economic, and regulatory challenges. My suggestion is simply that freshwater conservation should be considered a fundamental design requirement for future AI infrastructure.

Perhaps a future goal could be:

“No potable water for AI cooling wherever a safe recycled-water alternative is technically and environmentally feasible.”

AI is being developed to solve humanity’s biggest problems. I hope its infrastructure can also be designed in a way that protects essential resources such as water.

Thank you for taking the time to consider this idea.

Sincerely,
A concerned user ( Ashutosh )

did you do some research about if that stuff is already done perhaps?