I really like that Codex lets users reorder queued messages. It makes the workflow much more flexible.
For example, I may move a quick question ahead of a longer coding task so I can get the answer first and use it elsewhere.
What’s still missing is the ability to pause or hold a specific queued message without removing it from the queue.
Sometimes plans change. I may have already written a detailed instruction that I still want to keep, but I no longer want Codex to automatically execute it as soon as the earlier tasks are finished.
A simple Pause / Hold state would solve this. The message should remain visible with its content and position preserved, be skipped by automatic execution, and only run once I manually resume or trigger it.
I’m aware that similar requests have been made before, but I’m requesting it again because this would materially improve longer Codex workflows where priorities often change while earlier tasks are still running.