OpenAI not supporting request headers for ChatGPT Plugins? "parameter X has location header; ignoring"

Hey there!

When I add a plugin to ChatGPT (Plugin store → Develop your own plugin → Enter website domain), OpenAI validates my manifest and OpenAPI spec. The manifest looks alright. However, I receive the following warning for my OpenAPI spec: In path /X, method X, operationId X, parameter X has location header; ignoring

The relevant part of the OpenAPI spec:

{
  "paths": {
    "/X": {
      "X": {
        "operationId": "X",
        "parameters": [
          {
            "in": "header",
            "name": "X",
            "schema": {
              "type": "string"
            },
            "required": true,
            "description": "X"
          },
        ],
      }
    }
  },
}

My question: Does OpenAI not support headers in OpenAPI specs from ChatGPT plugins or am I missing something here? I checked the official OpenAPI spec documentation which OpenAI also referred to in their ChatGPT docs and my spec looks alright: OpenAPI Specification - Version 3.0.3 | Swagger

Any help is much appreciated!

2 Likes

Have you tried pasting the spec into chatGPT and asking it to critique?
Aside - is that an official plugin api spec? this is the openai link I’m aware of:
https://platform.openai.com/docs/plugins/getting-started

1 Like

Thanks! Yes, I already asked ChatGPT and went through the official docs you linked, both didn’t help, unfortunately.

1 Like

I have the same problem the API that I want ChatGPT to use has required Headers but when I use the openapi.yaml file it shows this warning and the headers are ignored. This prevents me from being able to develop or test my plugin. Appreciate your help! thanks

Hi @shawkat.kabbara As we experienced this issue ourselves, we added support for custom request headers at Langdock which fixed it for us and our users. At Langdock, we’re building an open-source platform to create, deploy, test, and monitor ChatGPT and LangChain plugins. Let me know if you want to learn more.