Migration our custom GPTs to plugins, why?

Why are we being forced to migrate our custom GPTs to plugins? Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this?

My custom GPTs used to work perfectly, but the converted versions do not. For instance, I spent over 10 incredibly stressful days trying to get a single plugin to work properly—and that was based on a simple custom GPT with under 3,000 lines of instructions and no knowledge files. How are we supposed to convert even more complex GPTs?

Previously, if I needed a quick one-line fix, I would just open the editor and change it. Now, I have to talk to a chatbot, convince it, and practically fight with it just to edit a single line—and then cross my fingers that it actually only changes that one line (since it rarely follows instructions properly).

Furthermore, plugins are extremely slow, and they behave differently in chat mode versus work mode.

I could accept all of this as just requiring more time and effort. However, my biggest concern is privacy: why are all the plugin instructions and commands suddenly made public in the chat?

This means years of hard work are completely exposed. If I put dedicated effort into developing a solution, am I now expected to just hand my intellectual property away for free inside a plugin?

It’s one step forward, two steps back. I successfully published one converted plugin, but now the option to publish another has vanished (the “skills only” plugin option is completely gone).

I know this sounds more like a rant than a technical question, but please realize that the current reality of this system does not match the official documentation or the original proposal at all.

A post was merged into an existing topic: OpenAI’s Custom GPT → plugin migration raises access concerns