Message counter for Chat GPT4 usage cap

I don’t/ cannot always count the number of prompts/ queries that I send to GPT 4 within the 3-hour period. So I sometimes reach my cap without noticing and then have to wait. However, while we do have it, it would be extremely helpful to have an inconspicuous counter for GPT 4 that tells us how many messages/ query responses we have left within the 3-hour time.

If you have 25 messages and submit your first prompt, the time is marked and a counter is set. It would then tell you both the messages you have left and the cap reset time. In terms of how it’s displayed, I was thinking of a few examples:

On the bottom right corner of each message, it could show just the number and the time to reset. Eg.

24, X:XX AM/PM

It could also be something displayed right above/below the “Send a message” field in the sentence format.

“You have XX messages left until X:XX AM/PM.”

Personally, I think this would be extremely helpful and would encourage users to word their prompts more carefully to reach the answers/outcomes they are looking for.

14 Likes

Completely agree with this. Having a counter would help in doing better prompts, reduce useless workloads on OpenAI infrastructure, and let people better manage their subscriptions.

3 Likes

I would agree, if I know, I am going to burn out, i might not ask stupid questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

A few browser extensions and plugins built for Chromium-based browsers offered message-counting features for GPT-4. Unfortunately, these plugins have become non-functional after the recent ChatGPT UI update.

Update: I have discovered a new extension named Chatterclock, which is compatible with the updated ChatGPT UI. You can find it in the Chrome Web Store.

1 Like

Chatterclock is good, and it can also run in Edge. Thank you very much!

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

Note: As of 2020, Microsoft Edge transitioned to a Chromium-based framework, ensuring compatibility with all extensions available on the Chrome Web Store. That’s why Chatterclock is available for Microsoft Edge too!

Hey, there is a product where you can write unlimited requests and switch the model during conversation, it is also cheaper. Check https://betterai.tech. Show your interest and support!

Nice feature but I think the counter is best hidden by default to keep the UI clean and avoid making users feel too constrained.

The current conversation limit is set at 40 times per 3 hours, but according to OpenAI’s official help site, it says they “dynamically adjust the exact usage limit”.

So it’s not exactly 40 times per 3 hours, and it might be better to take it as a rough guideline, as you might reach the limit faster or be able to have more conversations depending on the server load…:thinking:

https://help.openai.com/en/articles/7102672-how-can-i-access-gpt-4

I made a Safari Extension that does this. It’s open source. Would appreciate feedback if anyone’s interested in trying it out.

github: THEBONESMITH/message-counter