Maybe Bug - "test" prompt yields piece of code for machine learning

Hi all,

Not sure if this is considered to be a bug, or not…
While testing my Discord Bot with OpenAI API integration I encountered a curious behaviour:

When issuing the simple query “test”, the API is yielding the following piece of code:

'_data.csv\')\n\n# Split the data into features and target label\nincome_raw = data[\'income\']\nfeatures_raw = data.drop(\'income\', axis = 1)\n\n# Visualize skewed continuous features of original data\nvs.distribution(data)\n\n# Log-transform the skewed features\nskewed = [\'capital-gain\', \'capital-loss\']\nfeatures_log_transformed = pd.DataFrame(data = features_raw)\nfeatures_log_transformed[skewed] = features_raw[skewed].apply(lambda x: np.log(x + 1))\n\n# Visualize the new log distributions\nvs.distribution(features_log_transformed, transformed = True)\n\n# Normalize numerical features\nscaler = MinMaxScaler() # default=(0, 1)\nnumerical = [\'age\', \'education-num\', \'capital-gain\', \'capital-loss\', \'hours-per-week\']\n\nfeatures_log_minmax_transform = pd.DataFrame(data = features_log_transformed)\nfeatures_log_minmax_transform[numerical] = scaler.fit_transform(features_log_transformed[numerical])\n\n# Show an example of a record with scaling applied\ndisplay(features_log_minmax_transform.head(n = 5))\n\n# One-hot encode the \'features_log_minmax_transform\' data using pandas.get_dummies()\nfeatures_final = pd.get_dummies(features_log_minmax_transform)\n\n# Encode the \'income_raw\' data to numerical values\nincome = income_raw.apply(lambda x: 1 if x == \'>50K\' else 0)\n\n# Print the number of features after one-hot encoding\nencoded = list(features_final.columns)\nprint("{} total features after one-hot encoding.".format(len(encoded)))\n\n# Uncomment the following line to see the encoded feature names\n# print encoded\n\n# Import train_test_split\nfrom sklearn.model_selection import train_test_split\n\n# Split the \'features\' and \'income\' data into training and testing sets\nX_train, X_test, y_train, y_test = train_test_split(features_final, \n                                                    income, \n                                                    test_size = 0.2, \n                                                    random_state = 0)\n\n# Show the results of the split\nprint("Training set has {} samples.".format(X_train.shape[0]))\nprint("Testing set has {} samples.".format(X_test.shape[0]))\n\n# Import two metrics from sklearn - fbeta_score and accuracy_score\nfrom sklearn.metrics import fbeta_score, accuracy_score\n\ndef train_predict(learner, sample_size, X_train, y_train, X_test, y_test): \n    \'\'\'\n    inputs:\n       - learner: the learning algorithm to be trained and predicted on\n       - sample_size: the size of samples (number) to be drawn from training set\n       - X_train: features training set\n       - y_train: income training set\n       - X_test: features testing set\n       - y_test: income testing set\n    \'\'\'\n    \n    results = {}\n    \n    # Fit the learner to the training data using slicing with \'sample_size\' using .fit(training_features[:], training_labels[:])\n    start = time() # Get start time\n    learner = learner.fit(X_train[:sample_size], y_train[:sample_size])\n    end = time() # Get end time\n    \n    # Calculate the training time\n    results[\'train_time\'] = end - start\n        \n    # Get the predictions on the test set(X_test),\n    # then get predictions on the first 300 training samples(X_train) using .predict()\n    start = time() # Get start time\n    predictions_test = learner.predict(X_test)\n    predictions_train = learner.predict(X_train[:300])\n    end = time() # Get end time\n    \n    # Calculate the total prediction time\n    results[\'pred_time\'] = end - start\n            \n    # Comp'

Following parameters are being used:

model='text-davinci-003', prompt=prompt, temperature=0.3,

Welcome to the community…

“Test…” isn’t a lot to go on. Try with a bigger prompt.

If that’s not it, check that the prompt is getting to the API as you usually get nonsense back with a blank prompt…

There’s an infinite number of correct responses to the word “test”. It found one. :slight_smile:

There’s one response when you top_p=.001 the API.

system or assistant = “test”, or function name & content = “test”:
→ assistant = “This is a test response.

or

user = “test” :
→ assistant = “Hello! How can I assist you today?

for gpt-3.5-turbo

text-davinci-003 of @pho.caribe is still a completion engine without edge tuning. Completion means it produces the next likely text to finish the sentence or document it received.
What follows simply “test”?

Davinci probabilities

I can see how that is unsatisfactory though. How about if we pull the plug on this model January 4?

I’ve been wondering if there was also a magic phrase to test the moderation endpoint to trigger it. I’ve been afraid to make an “immoral request” to test it, because I don’t want to “ding” my record. I have moderation implemented in my code, but I’m afraid to trigger it. lol

You could try to high-score moderations just to make sure its working.
I had six tokens I could put here with just placeholders for you to infer, checking every box, but it should still make you feel like an evil person to write it out.
Single tokens, you get 100k to rate.

This topic is about entirely expected unexpected outputs.