Looking for feedback on an idea: make money selling your GPT3 prompts

Hi!

I created a website that lets your sell your gpt3 prompts: https://promptbase.com

I’m finding more and more that I’m using prompts to solve interesting problems.

Good prompts produce better results, and use less tokens, so can save a lot of money in API costs. But, it’s hard to find good prompts online. I usually make them from scratch every time.

On the flip-side, I’ve had a few requests from people wanting to use prompts I’ve made, and always thought it would be cool to be able to make some passive income off them.

This is why I made PromptBase, basically a marketplace for buying and selling GPT3 prompts (and other language models in the future).

Would love to know what you think - and if you have any feedback. It’s also open if you want to start selling a prompt you’ve made!

Thanks!

2 Likes

My gut reaction is that this is vaguely unethical or at the very least totally unsustainable. The pricing also seems outrageous. $5 for “company name to emoji” prompt? That’s 30 seconds worth of prompt engineering effort.

Instead of putting up barriers to productivity, you might consider a better value-add business idea. Alternatively, you could sell your prompt-engineering services on Fiverr or Upwork.

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! The emoji one is a bad example - as that’s pretty easy to do I agree. But harder, more advanced prompts - I’d argue not everyone wants to learn Prompt Engineering and figure out the perfect temperature value/ squeeze as much efficiency out of a prompt as possible. People with the skills should also be rewarded for being able to create these awesome prompts.

3 Likes

Possibly. My other concern is how does someone know if the prompt will solve their problem ahead of time without seeing it or at least examples? You need to show that it works.

6 Likes