It's Finished - FANTASAI: Generate DND and TTRPG Handouts with GPT-4 and DALL-E 3

Hello Community!

Fantasai - AI art generation for pen and paper tabletop RPGs www.fantasai.app

My name is Charles David Jameson and I am the founder of chroniclecreations. Myself and a team of two others have spent a little over the last year developing my dream project: www.fantasai.app - a site where game masters and players can create handouts (pieces of art) for their campaigns using generative AI.

I am an avid player of tabletop role playing games and take part in a weekly session of DND. As soon as Open AI released their apis for gpt and dall-e I saw the potential positive impact these could have on tabletop gaming. With that in mind myself and my team got to work making the best user experience we could. From generating the cards to a system of borders, achievements, and collections. Additionally weā€™ve designed it so any handout generated creates a copy in our community, for free, for anyone who comes by the website to use. We want to create a massive pool of resources that can finally replace the extremely hit or miss process of going on google images to enhance your campaigns.

Noteworthy to our story is that we are not career programmers and our site is built on Ruby On Rails. Our head developer and myself learned to code last year. We attended a coding bootcamp held be Le-wagon in Tokyo, Japan. In our struggles there (mine really) we became quick friends. A part of the bootcamp experience was pitching a project. My pitch was selected. Seeing a way out of the matrix I said to my work companion, ā€œHey, why donā€™t we try and develop this into something truly amazing!ā€ He agreed and the rest is history. June 6th 2024 marks one year since we presented our first prototype in the bootcamp and now we are finished. The site is ready.

I believe that generative AI will transform the experience of role playing games. This is not a question of ā€˜ifā€™ only ā€˜whenā€™. We aim to be at the forefront of making sure that is an experience that everyone can benefit from . Most of all, we hope to encourage those with less confidence in playing games like this to give it a shot. I believe the excitement this kind of new creative expression offers could be just the spark some would need to get involved for the first time.

I am a youtuber so I talk about all this stuff on my videos that I upload to mark our progress. If youā€™d like to check them out find them at : Davetrippin

If youā€™d like to meet our team our company website is: chroniclecreations

We would love to get some interaction and buzz going around the website so please, if you have any questions, donā€™t hesitate to write. We are tremendously proud of what weā€™ve so far accomplished and are so excited to finally be able to unveil this to the community. Itā€™s been hard being patient about something you are so excited about. We hope you go and check it out.

We are running a 40% sale in our store if you add the promo code FANTASAI 2024 after signing up. You can make over 60 handouts

All the best,
Dave

Founder Chronicle Creations Inc.

1 Like

Welcome to the OpenAI Dev Community forum!

Iā€™ve added the project tag to this thread. If you post updates here, itā€™s easier for us to stay up to date.

Are you using only OpenAI projects or other language models?

Iā€™ve been building my own for a few years now. Good to have another gamer here!

Hey Paul,

thanks for writing back and adding the project tag. Iā€™m new to post here so all the help I can get is grat. We are currently only using open ai APIā€™s dalle and gpt. That said, thereā€™s a developer competition on right now to use gemini for google so we were thinking of swapping that in briefly just to be able to apply to the compeition.

Cheers,
Dave

1 Like

Nice. If you stick around and participate (maybe share some more dev stories with us!), youā€™ll be able to eventually post links, your videos, etc.

What were your biggest struggles? How has OpenAI API been helpful?

Thatā€™s a great suggestion @PaulBellow . I will share some of the devlopment stories here for sure. It was harrowing journey going from zero development experience to finishing the website in a year. Iā€™ll say of OpenAI API, it has been easy to use. Putting it into our site was straightforward and for the most part so was having dall-e interact with gpt-4o. Naturally I have things Iā€™d love to see improved: sideways generated image, gibberish text, time to generate and image. But Iā€™m confident theyā€™ll sort these out within the next Dall-e release.

Iā€™ll keep posting as we make progress.

Cheers,
Dave