In-Line Editing feature in chatgpt

I hope this message finds you well. I am an avid user of ChatGPT, and I wanted to share a feature request that I believe would greatly enhance the user experience and improve productivity for many users like myself.

Currently, when interacting with ChatGPT, all the text input is done within the message box. While this works well for composing initial queries, it can become a bit cumbersome when trying to modify or refine specific portions of the AI-generated responses. Often, I find myself needing to correct or adapt only a small part of the suggested answer, rather than rewriting the entire response.

Therefore, I would like to propose the implementation of an “In-Line Editing” feature within the ChatGPT interface. This feature would enable users to directly modify or edit specific portions of the AI-generated responses without having to retype the entire text.

Here’s how I envision it working: Once a response is generated by ChatGPT, instead of editing in the message box, users should be able to click on any part of the response to activate the in-line editing mode. This would allow us to make changes, add or delete text within that specific section only, while preserving the rest of the response generated by ChatGPT.

In-line editing would provide a more intuitive and efficient way to collaborate with the AI model, as users could easily refine the generated content without the need to manually reconstruct the entire response. It would save time and effort, especially when dealing with lengthy or complex replies.

Additionally, this feature could be complemented by the ability to undo or redo edits, ensuring users have the flexibility to experiment and iterate on their responses, thus further enhancing the overall user experience.

I believe the implementation of in-line editing would be a valuable addition to ChatGPT, benefiting a wide range of users across various domains such as content creation, drafting emails, brainstorming ideas, and more.

Thank you for considering my feature request. I greatly appreciate the continuous efforts of the OpenAI team in improving the capabilities of ChatGPT. I am confident that in-line editing would be a fantastic addition and elevate the user experience to new heights.

Please let me know if you need any further information or if there’s anything I can do to support the implementation of this feature. I eagerly look forward to the possibility of seeing in-line editing in ChatGPT in the near future.

1 Like

I’ve been there several times:

Problem:

ChatGPT gives a good answer, but with a mistake.
So I can’t continue the chat, as it would propagate the error.

The current solution:

I can keep on the conversation, asking chatGPT to fix the mistake and THEN make the next questions.

Why is that not a great great solution?

More tokens are consumed unnecessarily.
The context gets unecessarily larger (and larger contexts have lower quality).
It seems to get more pruned to make mistakes again (as there are mistakes on the context).

So I agree. Editing chatGPT’s answers manually would be a great solution in several cases.

Risks and Concerns:

1. Unethical Alignment
    It could make it easier to convince chatGPT to give unethical answers. (If you edit their previous answers, they will be leaned to keep the same style)

2. Reinforcement Learning:
    Should the edited answer be considered on HITLRL? Maybe they should adapt the RL flow of other processes.

3. Public Relationship:
    People could force polemic answers and share printscreen.