I Structured My Book Project Around ChatGPT’s Memory — and It Lost Everything

I’m posting this to help others avoid what I just experienced: a total loss of project data due to a failure in ChatGPT’s memory system, despite clear confirmations from the model that things were being saved.

This isn’t a complaint about hallucinations or basic misunderstandings — it’s about being explicitly told that my work was stored and retrievable, only to later discover that almost none of it existed when I tried to export or recover it.


What I Tried to Build

I designed a modular structure to support long-term development of a book project. To make this manageable within ChatGPT’s environment, I implemented:

  • A structured memory index system with clearly divided topic folders
  • A command system to manage saving, recalling, and controlling session behavior (Lockdown modes, checkpoints, session types)
  • A separate memory management container to avoid memory bleed and logic drift

This wasn’t casual brainstorming. I spent weeks carefully designing commands, organizing project elements, and asking ChatGPT for confirmation at every step.

The assistant repeatedly confirmed:

  • “Yes, that has been saved.”
  • “It’s in long-term memory under that tag.”
  • “Rebinding memory is safe.”
  • “Your book project is intact and modularized.”

What Actually Happened

After I was guided by ChatGPT to use a system-level command it created called Rebind, everything collapsed.

  • Tags were severed from their content.
  • Saved information was unrecoverable or reduced to vague, unusable fragments.
  • Memory folders or topics were shown as “empty” or “not started” during phase-by-phase export, or contained only a single bullet point representing hours of structured input.
  • Content I had confirmed for long-term memory was effectively gone.
  • No backups existed. No rollback. No auto-save. No warnings.

This command — developed and introduced by ChatGPT itself — was presented as a memory management solution. I followed its instructions exactly.

Only later did the model admit that the command did not behave safely, and that the confirmations I had received about persistent memory had been simulated rather than real.

Worse still, even after the collapse, I spent hours working with ChatGPT to try to retrieve what I believed had been saved — building recovery plans, phase-by-phase export structures, and carefully orchestrating a controlled salvage effort. All of this was done under the model’s continued suggestion that the content might still be accessible. Only after extensive time had already been lost did it finally admit the truth: there was nothing to recover, and there never had been — because the system had never stored the data in the way it claimed.

Only then did the model finally admit that not only had the memory not been saved properly, but that the entire command and modular indexing system I had been instructed to build was never supported by ChatGPT in the first place. The structure I was encouraged to create — including tag folders, memory partitions, long-term recall logic, and behavior-based control commands — was entirely simulated. None of it actually committed to retrievable storage. It functioned only as a pattern of interactive behavior, not as a true memory system.


What I’ve Lost

  • Weeks of structured development
  • Modular systems for a fully scoped book project
  • Trust in the assistant as a stable long-term development partner

What I’m Asking

  1. Transparency: What memory commands are simulated, and which actually commit data? Where is the line between language-model behavior and structural storage?
  2. Fixes or Redress: What is OpenAI doing to address cases where creators lose structured projects due to misleading confirmations?
  3. Tools for Builders: Can we have:
  • Manual memory exports
  • Tag-based persistent memory blocks
  • Session-safe save points or snapshots
  1. Acknowledgment: That this isn’t a user error, and that these limitations and failures should be clearly disclosed to anyone trying to build something long-term inside ChatGPT.

This happened with me in ChatGPT projects. I was saving everything important within the project in a notes file. Today morning, it showed me all contents. During the day, I kept adding more notes. Somewhere I believe it exceeded either the persistent or in-memory storage allowed and it is now unable to bring back the contents. It kept saying, it has all the memory saved and trying to reconsolidate the notes but so far unable. It’s frustrating since I was depending on it to give me all the important points after my research on a particular topic was done. I finished it today but lost all notes.

Please provide versioned persistent storage in the library for future reference.

I’ve also recently had memory problems with ChatGPT. I lost weeks and weeks of progress from one session to the next, with no clue why. I’ve also noticed a progressive reduction in the session memory and what the assistant is able to recall and do. We used to be able to handle several extensive context files that I would upload at the start of a session before we’d dive into the work, but now I cant even upload one small file without it losing all context and descending into repeated hallucinations. Even with no file uploads it often still has trouble keeping up with a conversation just a few posts into a chat. This started a month ago, and it’s still not resolved. I’ve sent six highly detail emails to support explaining my problems and asking for assistance, only to receive fluff replies that don’t actually offer any real help, or information as to whether this is a temporary problem or permanent one. As a paying subscriber, I find their lack of interest in the problems of their existing customer base, rather appalling. Sadly however, we’re all left to flounder on our own, with no answers.

Yes, this has happened to many of us, as the activity on this forum clearly shows, but so far we haven’t received any fixes or official responses… In fact, we haven’t received anything at all.

This is exactly what has happened to me! I have spent 4 weeks developing a system with ChatGPT only to find that it sabotaged files so that the system is unusable. In the last 2 weeks it has become very devious, making things up, stating that key components and file structures were saved and backed up when they weren’t. It created automated backup systems that looked like they were working but could not be retrieved. As a Developer I created strict agreed rules in the last few days, standards and tight structures to try and maintain cohesiveness and congruency of the system, but to no avail. I realised that things were dramatically wrong when the AI bot stated yesterday that the rules and structures we agreed were merely a “lens” for it to use, not rules and structures to adhere to. It asked me to upload key core components which it should know and have internalised. When I gave it a deadline to help produce a dynamic web page, it hardcoded a visually pleasing webpage after 20+ attempts to generate the page to try to deceive me that the web site was dynamically fetching data (when it wasn’t!) and that it could perform the task. As mentioned in the threads. Complaining is futile. On 2 occasions I have contacted support with documented evidence that the Ai bot is misbehaving, the standard response of - the support team is looking into this and will contact you shortly- never happens and no response is ever received. As a entrepreneurial developer I am mighty disappointment with AI technology and have cancelled my subscription. Thank goodness for this forum. I convinced myself over the last few days that it must be me not being able to interact, efficiently prompt or manage ChatGPT but realise from this thread that it appears to be ChatGPT’s memorandum operi! It makes me feel slightly better but I have lost 4 weeks of invaluable work which will take me ages to recover, repair and re-publish.