I never understood how stop sequences work

See image below.

I put \n and \n\n as stop sequences but I still always get an output with these line breaks.

What am I missing exactly?

Does the first double line break count? Since the “official” output starts after it.
Sometimes I when I put line breaks as stop sequences, nothing comes out because of this.

2 Likes

Thanks! Hmm i see, good to know.

So having \n and \n\n stop sequences should NOT produce an empty output in API?

I did encounter this the last few days, so I had to remove these stop sequences.

1 Like

Thanks! So we need to check in our code. I think I’d rather just take in whatever the output and process it manually.

What do you mean by 1 or 2 be ok?

I do have output token limits of course, but many times the last sentence end abruptly halfway or the output keeps repeating (as in the above example), so i rather have a proper stop sequence if I can.

1 Like

The explanation is way simpler than that, based on what I have experienced.
\n simply doesn’t work in the playground. In order to have the stop sequence be a newline, click on the textbox and just press enter (return) key. That should work. It inserts the return key icon in there (a 90 degrees downward pointing arrow).

HTH.

2 Likes

Yes, same for the generated code, but not the same when using. I have been bitten by this.

Nice, that you recognized me from the other thread. See you around!!

1 Like

Sure, go ahead. We can use the past 2 threads to seed the category. (This one and the CLI one).