How to stop 4o from inserting into memory everytime it uses browse

Everytime now I use browse it automatically inserts the thing I want to browse into memory. Anyone experience the same? Turning off custom instructions doesn’t work. And there seems to be no memory which tells it to to do this in the first place.

We have a little control over it by asking it to store a memory, but we can’t really limit it. Mine’s slowed down a bit but picks up weird things to remember sometimes still…

Maybe try clearing all the memories and start fresh? That might make it try to remember more, though? I wonder what the limit on memories is currently…

Tried clearing the memory still does this. Only thing I have to say is “use browse to ***” and it puts it into memory then browses. The memory limit is some 2-4k from what I gather, that’s maybe 30-40 memories in my experience then you get shown a tab inside the memory management that memory is getting full (with some 80% showing). Mind you that chatgpt won’t tell you if memory is full it will merely lie to you that stuff has been put into memory if you ask it to without showing the “memory updated” thing.

1 Like

Hi, im get 100% of full memory every day , and im trying to configure, see the conversation below, nothing was memorized in this conversation, but this is the first test im making :

Me:
How does chatgpt’s memory function work?

ChatGPT
ChatGPT’s memory function allows me to remember information between conversations. For example, I may remember details about your interests, preferences or any other information you choose to share with me. This functionality is designed to create a more personalized and relevant experience in our conversations.

You can ask me to remember, forget or review this information at any time. When you share something with me that seems relevant to memorize, I might suggest saving it for future reference, or you might explicitly ask me to do so.

This memory is kept in separate and secure “contexts”, meaning that information memorized in a conversation is accessible only in that same “conversation” or context, and is not shared with other users or conversations.

Me:
ok the problem is that your memory is short (haha) and it fills to 100% capacity all the time, and I need to clean it all the time and this is tiring on a daily basis, not to mention that there are many items in your memory that are useless… what a big problem huh, to solve this problem, I would like you to always ask yourself if you should save before you save something in memory, ok? Memorize this action!

ChatGPT
Upgraded memory
Understood, Reborn! I will always ask before memorizing anything new. If there’s anything else you want to adjust, just let me know!

Me:
Let’s navigate to https://www.biodiversity4all.org/
ChatGPT
Searched 1 website

We are now on the Biodiversity4All website. If you need help navigating the site or want specific information about a section, just let me know!

What is the website about?

ChatGPT
The Biodiversity4All website is a platform for naturalists where they can contribute biodiversity observations, help identify species and participate in citizen science projects. The site promotes knowledge sharing about global biodiversity and supports conservation efforts through collaboration and community engagement.

Me:
I loved this website!

ChatGPT
Great that you liked the Biodiversity4All website! If you have any questions about how to participate or explore more of the site’s features, I’m happy to help.

ME:
This site covers very interesting topics, I loved it!

ChatGPT
It’s great to know that you found topics that piqued your interest on Biodiversity4All! If you decide to get more involved with the site or are curious about specific citizen science projects you can participate in, I’m here to help with any information or guidance you need.

Yeah, it’s hit or miss on what/when it remembers. You can sometimes prompt it by asking to “Please remember that…”

I have no problem getting it to memorize stuff it always complies when i say remember to *** or *** remember this i even say that when i say “m” in custom instrucitons it should remember and it works. The problem i had which seems now to be FIXED :slight_smile: it doesnt put every browse action into memory anymore.

1 Like