How to save uploaded information (PDFs, Books, Text etc.) permanently and interact with?

Hi everyone,

I was so happy to hear about the custom bots you can now create and also upload files, documents etc. When I later used this custom bot, I couldn’t understand why the answers were so bad and didn’t really refer to what I had uploaded - I just asked the bot if it remembered the books I had uploaded a while ago. The answer was that it doesn’t save your files or any information from them once you’ve finished the current conversion - it’s all gone. The bots are just “for general custom behaviour”.

Does anyone have a solution on how to upload and permanently save the uploaded information so you can refer your promts and requests to it?

I would be very grateful.

You’d need an external server to store the files on. I have this working for incredibly small files, but the Actions functionality is not mature enough to handle files larger than ~1kb at the moment. Personally I’m hoping that those issues will be resolved sooner rather than later, but it seems to be a waiting game until then.

It does work nicely for telling the GPT to store specific pieces of information to refer back to later though, just not entire files.

Dear all,

Any updates on this topic? Any quick & easy solution for permanent storage and availability of information you can refer to later? Still looking for a solution to upload professional books and interact with them as well as ask questions based on those files. Anything that could be created with any kind of custom bots?

Thanks a lot!

Hi @ds2,

I hope that I’m understanding your request correctly. Have you checked out the Assistants feature? It allows you to upload files, which it automatically prepares and stores for the assistants to search. You can interact with the agents using the “Playground” feature:

Here’s an example of one of my assistants:

Make sure File search is enabled, and you can use the (+ Files) button to add your files.

I don’t know a way of doing this within the actual ChatGPT interface.

I forgot to answer this part of your question. Yes, it is possible to write your own custom software to do this using the OpenAI API. I recently did this myself and, in my humble opinion, it can be a bit time consuming if you intend to recreate the chat-style interface for your own needs.

You might also consider making your own “GPT”, which I don’t know a lot about:

https://help.openai.com/en/articles/8554397-creating-a-gpt

Hi clone45,

Thank you! I’ll give it a try and let you know. Creating your own GPT within the normal interface doesn’t solve the problem - once you close the conversation, all the information you put in there, including anything uploaded, is completely gone. It does not save anything. In my personal opinion - this “custom bot” feature is kind of a joke and has no real advantages compared to the main ChatGPT interface/bot. Very disappointing!

Ah, thanks for letting me know. That is pretty disappointing!