How to paraphrase a question?

Hi there!

One of the components of a project I am working on is a paraphrasing prompt. With a few-shot approach results are amazing. Except for one detail. Take a look at the prompts below:

O: Write a sentences that paraphrases the following sentence:
S: The time has come to pay the rent.
R: It is about time to give money to the landlord.

O: Write a sentences that paraphrases the following sentence:
S: We have to catch the train before it is too late.
R: We need to hurry and get to the train station before the train leaves.

S: Whenever it is raining we have to wear raincoats.
R: We have to put on raincoats whenever it rains.

S: What is a knowledge graph?
R: A knowledge graph is a database of interconnected information about real-world entities.

O is for Order, S for sentence, R for response. I gave GPT-3 only a one shot (first OSR).

Only the last response was inexact because, probably, of its interrogative nature. Removing question mark and the “What” word has GPT-3 producing unsatisfying answers.

Do you have any idea about a well-formed prompt for paraphrasing a question?

Thanks to the Open AI team.

Pierre-Emmanuel

Hi @zepef

Welcome to the community.

Just here to point out that you don’t have to write the order for every example. It’s unnecessarily increasing the prompt size.

You can simply do more than a couple sentence and rephrase pairs, to be used as examples, and then:

S: your sentence to be converted
R: Let it be generated by the engine

Also share what engine are you using.

1 Like

Hello Sukhman Preet Singh Jawa,

Nice meeting you.

That is what I like, not having to re-order. I noticed that a rebarbative prompt, like one a child is summoned to, might be effective. I have a profound questioning about generalizing about generalization, which GPT-3 is able to perform when well-formed prompt is submitted.

My concern was only about LLM being able to distinguish paraphrasing a sentence which is a question and perceiving it as a question to be answered. Maybe being able to make this distinction is one step toward AGI and artificial consciousness.

All the best,

Pierre-Emmanuel

1 Like

Yes, a well designed prompt is crucial to get desired completion. Being very specific about the desired outcome also helps.

Hello,

I will work on it today and I will keep you updated.

All the best !

Pierre-Emmanuel

1 Like

Please keep us all updated.

I am following this topic with much interest as I have a similar requirement, except that I need multiple paraphrases for a given statement (the more different, the better).

1 Like

Hello,

I amstill working on it. I will keep you informed asap.

All the best,

Pierre-Emmanuel

1 Like